Ghosting to CD-R/RW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghosting to CD-R/RW

Anybody know what the space requirements are for Ghosting my system to a CD-R or -RW is? Can Ghost 2001 span CDs? How does Ghost work? Does it simply do an image backup of an entire partition or does it do a file level backup of only pertinent files? If the latter, can you specify system vs. app vs. both? The Symantic website doesn't provide much info on this product. Guess I'll hunt around for some reviews while I await an answer from one of you experienced Ghost users.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Well I managed to answer one of my own questions. Ghost 2001 does apparently support spanning across media.

I'm adding a drive to my SCSI RAID 0 array which means I need to rebuild the array. I really don't want to reinstall my OS and apps (two years running now) so I'm looking to clone my system to reapply it after the rebuild. I assume Ghost won't have any problems with RAID (shouldn't even know about it).
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Me again ... talking to myself. I found one informative review. It appears to me that Ghost will do an image backup of a partition or HDD as well as a file-level backup via the Windows Image Explorer utility. This review also mentioned that a backup would probably take about 5 CDs. I would think the target size would be a function of the amount of used clusters in the primary partition if this is an image backup of the boot partition.

Comment

look at the other ghost like product also if backing it up directly to cd is your main concern give drive image a look...

Comment

Oops ... you posted so fast after my last post that I missed your message. I'm getting this drive from a buddy of mine who's moved onto bigger drives in removable enclosures (recording HDTV, lots of data). As a matter of fact, Drive Image is the SW that he used to clone his system last night and he said everything went smoothly. I had asked him if it supports CDs and he said that he didn't see anything mention that. I just checked the PowerQuest site and it say's that 4.0 supports CDs. Do you know if it spans media? I'll have to check with him to see what version he has and I'll just borrow it for this one move. I thought PowerQuest's PM and DI came with the Plextor burners but when I checked on it this morning it said they're now coming with Adaptec SW; I already have old versions of DCD and ECDC.

Comment

yes it does span the cds "automagically" for you.

i have not used it at all but one of my friends uses that since he works for micron and that is what micron uses for the recovery cds they ship out and another friend used it to span across multiple cdr discs.

with the current cost of blank cdr i would use them and not cdrw.

i only use the cdrw discs you get with the drives for testing icki stuff like making way custom boot cds that then get burned to a plain cdr when completed.

Comment

Working...
            X