Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable

Cable are coming to my house in late April

They are charging £300 a year for 512Kbps, which includes modem rental, or £240 a year if you buy your own.
    What do you think
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Thats a lot. But I dunno how how the competition stacks up in UK. I'm getting the equivilant of 190 pounds a year for 3mb/s cable.
    P3 650@897 | Matrox G400 32mb SH @ 175/233 | 128mb PC133 | SB Live | winME

Comment

I'm paying 30-35 pounds pr month for a 512kbs flat rate motorola surfboard 4100E cable modem.

[This message has been edited by Kosh Naranek (edited 18 March 2001).]
      Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
      incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

It works like a charm ... can do 2 mbit

Comment

That NTL Paddy? I'm on NTLs cable service currently paying £25 a month including £5 modem rental, I've got Motorola SB1300. Good thing about renting is they will replace the modem when/if they upgrade the service. The service is 512/128 and has been extremely good apart from a 2 week period in January when it was lousy in Nottingham but they've expanded the bandwidth and upgraded the routers for us.

Comment

Ant/Paddy
            you chaps are lucky. I live in Milton Keynes and have just found out that the routed distance between my house and the exchange is too great. Therefor no ADSL. Not only that, but NTL who are now the cable service operators in MK wont be rolling out Cable services. Sheesh and I thought this city was supposed to be New

regards MD
            Interests include:
            Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

I've got Telewest's BlueYonder cable service - 512/128 for £33 a month, plus £50 installation (but you can refer a friend now and get a month free for each new 'friend'!)

It's great for me - the last month or so - I've been uncapped on most downloads and often reach 300Kilobytes/second

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I'm paying $58 a month, and often can hit 5 megabit/second.

Comment

Check the thread I just posted in the Soap Box to see what Roadrunner is capable of...

Comment

Yes Ant, NTL are comming to central Leics. in the next month or two...

I have been very impressed with ntlworld as my computer stays online 24/7 for free...

However, I have heard not quite so enthusiastic comments from othe NTL CM subscribers...

However it is cheaper than BlueYonder for now - thanks Steve!

Isochar - nice ratings, is that US only?

Seems to be a lack of competition this side of the pond....

Ant: How long would it take you to d/l a 100Mb file? Does the service really justify the expense?

Cheers for all the info - sorry its a bit disjointed (it is 0720!)
                    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Gurm
                      Sometimes you can't get an internet account with a flat rate cable modem without 'buying' it for a 1/5 of it's original price... the ISP want's to make sure that your modem is compatible with their service.
                      To my knowledge there is a difference between the US and EU when using cable modems.
                      Other than that i tend to agree with you, that renting is the best way to go ... especially with the speed of which technology develops....

Comment

Ok, if you can't avoid it then certainly buy it.

But if you CAN avoid it, do.

- Gurm

------------------
                        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Paddy from a good local server, I use www.mirror.ac.uk for speed tests, I downloaded 100MB in approx 28 minutes at a sustained 65KB/sec by http. Apart from the problems I mentioned I think its well worth the money although I'd still like to see the price fall a bit more but it's still much better than the £40 a month it was before Xmas.

Comment

RENT the modem. Don't buy one.

If you rent one, and it fries, despite anything they might say to the contrary, a quick phone call and they'll have a new one out to you.

If you buy one and it fries (and this happens WAY too often for my liking) you have to buy another one. And then where are your savings?

Look at it as a 5pound/month protection plan.

- Gurm

------------------
                            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Cheers Ant! (again)

That would take me all day to download!

I shall start to budget for it!

Comment

Working...
                              X