Noise pattern on TV.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise pattern on TV.

While playing DVD's on my 32" TV, I often see a pattern of thick alternating lines, dark/light dark/light. Its similar to a herring-bone. I'm NOT talking about the SCAN LINES now. The lines I'm talking about make up a large pattern of thick (1/2-3/4 CM) thick aternating light and dark lines. It happens on DVD and to a lesser degree, on the cable TV signal and Video tapes sometimes too.

Any idea why I see this? Or how to get rid of it? I think its the fault of the TV.

Sounds like you have induced a ground loop which has induced 60hz AC hum. It's that or similar to this...

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003804.html

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/004137.html

read the last post I made in this one
    http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/004137.html

I find that peeps are just lazy (or simply lame), so with my best intentions also do a search in Desktop Video forums. (or whenever you have a problem do a search first)
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Mike ... my spoon broke.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Thanks for the info Greebe. The pattern I see is present with cable, VHS VCR via <3 foot composite cable, DVD S-video hookup, DVD composite. I can even see the pattern on the screen sometimes when there is no input and the screen is blue. The noise is not always on the same part of the screen. its not always the same size. The problem seems intermittent, but that may be because the picture on the TV does not bring it out, while other times, the picture and colour brings it out more. Obviously I notice it most when watching DVD via the S-video cable, since the picture is so clear and sharp, the pattern stands out more.

Where do you think the noise/signal is coming from? Is it 60 HZ noise? Is it coming in on the COAX/S-video or Composite RCA cable? All 3? The AC cord? I have flourescent lights in the ceiling. I have a Cordless phone. I get the noise whether the TV is plugged into another AC outlet altogether different from the PC or the same as the PC, it doesn't matter.

Going to do some trouble-shooting/trial and error.

[This message has been edited by ccoltas (edited 17 March 2001).]

Comment

I paused the VCR and turned off:

1)the PC (shutdown);
          2)the flourescent lights;
          3)and unplugged the cordless phone.

No change.

I also paused a DVD on my PC and unplugged the VCR, and also plugged the TV into another wall socket away from where the PC was plugged in. VCR or DVD/PC still results in noise.

I wonder if a filter on the AC wall plug might help?? Last week, I re-visited the store that I bought my TV from and I noticed the same noise on large screen TV's in the store. I don't recall noticing it before.

It appears generally in the center of the screen, on either side of the middle. It can be quite distracting.

Anybody else notice this on their 32" TV's?

I'll try some more searches of course, but remember, I am just trying to see if someone else has the same problem as a matter of fact. Since my problem happens on my TV, regardless of source, Cable TV, VHS video OR DVD from my PC, it has NOTHING to do with my PC or video card. Remember the problem is present with VHS with the PC OFF. I am just asking here because I figure some PC owners have TV's and they may have some insight into my problem.

[This message has been edited by ccoltas (edited 18 March 2001).]

Comment

my 36"JVC is excellent, my 27"Zenith (old but still good pic) is terrible on ch4.
            my old commodore 128 would put the whole screen jagged. (still helluva lot better than interference from my old cd radio)
            amd k62-350 @400 - tyan trinity 100AT 1590s - 128mb sdram - wd 10gb 5400/u33 - g200 8mb sgram agp - sb16pro isa - Realtek 8029 NIC -

Comment

Could this possibly be a moire problem? Whiel I have never heard of any TV having moire problems, it sounds like what you're seeing is similar to moire. Just a guess/suggestion.

b
              Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

The TV I have is not an INVAR mask monitor, and so it is unlikely to have moire. Moire is most often seen on invar mask monitors. On my 19" PC monitor, I had experienced extremely bad moire. The pattern does not look like moire at all. The moire I have seen is a rounded pattern. The noise pattern I see on my TV now is in the shape of alternating darker and lighter thick horizontal lines. The pattern isn't that bad when I'm far away from the TV. I suppose I could live with it. I just wanted to see if others have the same problem.

[This message has been edited by ccoltas (edited 18 March 2001).]

Comment

Ok, so would a Trinitron monitor have moire? Come to think of it, I haven't ever seen moire problems on a Trinitron.

I think I may have seen what you're talking about. Not positive, though, but I think I've seen it on some TV's in stores. I have no clue why it occurs, though. Wish I could be of more help....

b

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Working...
                  X