I've got a hard FSB!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got a hard FSB!

I've got a hard FSB and I'm searching for a sensual proggie to soften it up. I looked over at Mr. Oda's web site but he isn't providing the download any more. I've found sbs17f and sbs17g1 (Beta) on other sites. What is the latest safe version? I'm using an ASUS P2B-S MB. Why isn't the download available anymore? The site states that the program isn't supported anymore. Is Vector the folks who developed this program and they are no longer making it available? Has anyone tried CPUFSB? It's advertised as being especially good for ASUS MBs.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

I have tried CPUFSB on a P3V4X and on an i815EP and it worked on both of them, but i like to do it the hard way ( setting the FSB that is ).
    It should be possible for you to find softfsb somewhere on the web.
    Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
    incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

try www.chip.de
      its in german, but they just added something with softfsp today or yesterday (Download-Special, die besten tuning tools (its more english than german really ))

Comment

That one's 17f ... thanks but as I said, "I've found sbs17f and sbs17g1 (Beta) on other sites." I was wondering if 17g1 was the latest and why Mr. Oda (presumably the original distributor) stopped making it available.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

xortam, check you mail
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

What you send?
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Thanks Mike but that 17g1 file was exactly the same as the 17g1 version I already downloaded. Sigh, poor reading skills on the MURC today. I'll assume that 17g1 is the latest and forget the rest.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 25 February 2001).]

Comment

No problem reading... just didn't know if what you had was the same as what I did and as far as I know that was the last version available to the general public.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

So does anybody know why Mr. Oda cut it off? Makes me think there was a liability problem or something.

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you."

Comment

Guess its time to start backing everything up so I can start pushing my FSB. I want to make sure this Mushkin PC150 is up to the task (sure it is) and milk this PIII/450. Then its off to find an 850 and a cooler. I'm hoping to see some dramatic improvement in my settings for Q3A solo gaming.

Comment

Hi xortam,

I also have an ASUS P2B-S and I use SoftFSB version 1.7f(inal) ...

Choose ASUS P2B-xx, goto Option and check whether it's set to Simple Access, 0 Data byte Modification, 1 Check counter amd ReadBack must be checked.

It works great on my revision 1.02, but the setting for 133 MHz FSB is a fluke ... it sets to 110MHz, identical to the hard jumper settings which are also labeled wrong to 133MHz.

112MHz is the highest FSB my board supplies and if I remember correctly, you run a 1.03, right ?

Cheers,
                      Maggi
                      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                      LG BH10LS38
                      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Thanks Maggi ... that's right, I have a R1.03 P2B-S. I tried the 17g1 version last night w/ the P2B-XX setting, just to read the FSB. I'm backing up my data first before I push the FSB in fear of possible data corruption. My Mylex RAID controller is rated to 133 MHz so I'm probably just being overly cautious. Are these jumper settings correct? The best I've seen on this MB is an 850 pushed to 950 so ultimately 112MHz will be the best I can hope for anyway. I saw an Overclockers review that said they pushed a retail 500 Cu to 750 (or around there). I'm wondering if I shouldn't just stick with a retail 850 and not bother with a special cooler. The FCPGA cooler wouldn't work with my retail Katmai 450 so I wouldn't bother trying to cool it first.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Maggi:
                          ... Maybe you should also consider a Celeron-II (600MHz should go as high as 900MHz=100MHz FSB and maybe even up to 112*9=1008) ....</font>
                          First of all, It might be difficult even finding a 600 MHz Celery II; my usual shops start with a 700 or 733 processor as their minimum. Secondly, I wouldn't land up with much if any more clock speed than an Cu 850 pushed to 950. Thirdly, I would land up with an inferior processor lacking the cache features of a Cu PIII. Lastly, I wouldn't save a significant amount of money after adding the cost of a cooler and thermal compound (plus possibly S/H fees), not to mention the extra effort versus popping in a retail PIII.

Comment

Hi xortam,

I guess the link does not apply to your system, unless they made that particualr change between rev 1.02 & 1.03 ...

As I said before, the 133MHz FSB setting results in 110MHz on my rig.
                            Just try it out with SoftFSB and see what the resulting core speed is.

Maybe you should also consider a Celeron-II (600MHz should go as high as 900MHz=100MHz FSB and maybe even up to 112*9=1008), just make sure you use a VCore of 1.75 or above, mine is @ 1.85 volts, so that my Cel-566 runs stable up to 952MHz (112MHz FSB).

Go for it !
                            Maggi
                            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                            LG BH10LS38
                            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                            X