G2MX play DVD on 2nd output to TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G2MX play DVD on 2nd output to TV?

I'm building a new system for my dad and want a card that will work like the g400 and put the DVD video out to the TV. It doesn't have to let him use the PC monitor too, but that would be nice. Thinking on the leadtek pro (around $122) but want to make sure it will do this (the reviews of MX cards are a little sketchy...). Thanks for any info you can give!

------------------
    -Jay
    -Jay

It won't do what you are looking for it to do.

The Matrox and ATI are the only ones that can do this, and the Radeon is only promising it to really work in the future.

Rags

Comment

Sorry if the question offends you, but I'm not flaming Matrox or anything, just looking for the right card for the system I'm building. I'm looking for a slightly faster contender than the g450, and I value you guy's opinions (and knowledge). I still have the 400, and may go with the 450 if it is the only one that will put a movie to the TV. Thanks for the answer rags, that's what I gathered from the reviews, but didn't want to believe it...

------------------
      -Jay
      -Jay

Comment

I wouldn't wait for the next Matrox card. I'm not saying that the card won't be worth it (or that it will), but if you're just looking for a computer that your dad will work on, and play DVD's with, the current Matrox G400 dual-heads, and G450's, are a good choice. And they're about $100 now.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I forgot to mention, the G400's are faster than the G450's.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Are there any cards under $200 other than the matrox that will put a DVD to the TV out?

------------------
            -Jay
            -Jay

Comment

The MX does play DVD on the second output to a TV, as I have one (Hercules btw). However, its not as good as the G400. I had a lot of playing around with settings to get a full screen display on my TV and even then it didn't quite go to all the corners as my G400MAX did.

Also, the picture quality on the TV as not as good as I remember my G400 MAX being, with visible colour banding in some scenes. Contrary to what many say the picture quality is as good as the Matrox on the primary display however. I would say equal quality in 2d at moderate resolutions (I primarily use 1024x768x32), better in DVD (on the primary display) and not quite so good in 2d at high resolutions (1280x1024 and up).

Also, whilst playing a DVD on the TV you cannot realistically use the primary display for anything else as this causes many dropped frames on the DVD output. The Matrox was slightly better for this, but still not really usable.

If anyone knows how to get a better TV-out DVD display from an MX I would be very interested to here.

I estimate games performance from the MX to be about 1.5 - 2x as fast as the matrox, depending on the game. I find I can run higher resolutions and/or colour depths and still get acceptable frame rates. However, this may not matter to many people.
              XP1800+ MSI 746Ultra 256Mb Corsair PC2700 MSI GF4800SE SBLive! WD 80GB 7200 DVD CDRW

Comment

Hmm, more to think about. The system will be used by my family, and they aren't master computer users or doing graphic artist stuff. They have a Intergraph Vodoo Rush card now, so just about anything will be 10x better (visual quality and speed...). All he wants to do it watch DVDs on the TV (and not use the computer at the same time) and possibly play some games on the big screen (though I know 8x6 is the max for tvout, that will be fine with them. They like things big anyway, ie eyes are getting bad in old age :-)

------------------
                -Jay
                -Jay

Comment

Hi Jay,

maybe you should consider selling them your G400, as soon as the next one comes from Matrox ...
                  Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                  Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                  be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                  4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                  2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                  OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                  4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                  Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                  Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                  LG BH10LS38
                  LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Hehe, thought of that, but they don't have a lot of money (who does) and they're looking to get a system that will last a few years without upgrading. Not an easy task on this budget ;-) I'm doing my best to put it together, but I hate to use the Matrox since it's game speed is getting pretty stomped (though I still use it and love it, so I guess they would too...) They don't do a lot of 3d gaming, but want the power to do it if they pick up a cool sounding flight simulator (it's gonna have a duron 850 oc'd).
                    -Jay

Comment

In that case I'd put your old G400 in your parents machine and get yourself a brand new card if you can.

Whatever a 2nd hand G400 is worth it won't be as much as a new G450/mx/whatever.

As for games performance, sure the MX is better, but not that much better. I'd say that neither card will be running state of the art games in a couple of years time.

Also, the G400 has the advantage (in my experience) of being both easier to set up for DVD output to TV and having better picture quality.

XP1800+ MSI 746Ultra 256Mb Corsair PC2700 MSI GF4800SE SBLive! WD 80GB 7200 DVD CDRW

Comment

Ok, guess I'll ask them what is more important, $, speed, or dvd. One more question... Are there any other cards around the $200 mark that can put a DVD movie to the TV? I don't really need dual head, just DVD out...
                        -Jay

Comment

Think I've found one that may work for around $165, the Leadtek GF2 GTS 32mb with TVout. Know this is going away from the matrox, but I want to best solution for this system. I want to use it to play DVD movies on the TV and perhaps some large screen gaming. What quality and performance on the TV can I expect? These damn reviews need to address all the features and stop leaving this part out!

------------------
                          -Jay
                          -Jay

Comment

Working...
                          X