Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woo! Competition for Nvidia!

http://us.hercules.com/products/vide...4mb/index.php3
    looks like a pretty nice card, i believe this is the card that that webmaster had who wouldn't reveal what card it was.
    Can't wait for a review or two.
    Hopefully it will drive the prices of GF3's down to a better level to make it more affordable and have the market less monopolized in the 3d gameing area.

Prophet 4500
    What a strange name for a new card. When I saw it mentioned in the Beyond3d forums yesterday I originally thought Hercules had rights to 3dfx! It will be interesting to see how well such a *frugal* card compares with the late and great GF3. I personally think there is a large market for graphics cards with *sub* GF3 performance costing 1/3 to 1/2 of its price. I also think this is where the G800 should be targetted.

regards MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

I agree....due 2 the high price ( and ramping problems ) of the GF3 this is a golden opportunity for Matrox to launch their successor to the G400 Max / G450 series.
      Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
      incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

according to www.chip.de its supposed to compete with the gf2 mx, in q3a its about 10% faster, in expendable 50%. on a 1gig pIII with 128mb pc133 ram that is, 3dmark score 5225. they say its 3dmark 2001 but i think its a typo.

the clou is that it is possible to make a dualchip card.

i matrox doesnt bring out a chip soon im gonna buy one of those, not too expensive, ill be able to get a matrox later

Comment

The Kyro 1 competed with the MX. If they set core/memory from 115/115 to 175/175 they should have near GTS performance.

Comment

i was wondering about it too, first the higher clock rates and, more important i think, it does have T&L, which together with HSR should give an enormous speed boos compared to the MX.
            lets wait till some other manufacturers beside Hercules bring out some Kyro II cards

Comment

according to the preview I saw on fullon3d? it didn't have TnL... that surprised me too.. but maybe they were wrong.

Comment

How about drivers? Anyone see how many driver updates were released for the Kyro?

Rags

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Rags:
                  How about drivers? Anyone see how many driver updates were released for the Kyro?

</font>

dont know anything for sure, but kyro only makes the chips, so maybe theyll leave it up to the card manufactures (in this case hercules, but i hope there'll be more soon) to make the drivers.

Comment

Of course.

Just research it for yourself, you will see where I am leading you.

Rags

Comment

After their last two fiascos with the Neon250 and the KyroI I will await judgement until I see more reviews.

Joel
                      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Same here. I have the same feelings towards ATI. Everyone is ranting and raving over this card, but they all seem to run win9x, ATI's drivers for win2k are horrible.

Rags

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by dZeus:
                          according to the preview I saw on fullon3d? it didn't have TnL... that surprised me too.. but maybe they were wrong.</font>

not sure anymore, guess it does not have T&L. they list it as one of the features at chip.de, but when they draw their conclusion they say its pretty sure gonna compete with the gf2mx although it does not have T&L
                          maybe g800 will be the first chip to have T&L and HSR????

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Rags:
                            Same here. I have the same feelings towards ATI. Everyone is ranting and raving over this card, but they all seem to run win9x, ATI's drivers for win2k are horrible.
                            </font>
                            That's not quite true. I have a Radeon and didn't have many problems with their drivers (the newer ones, the ones that came with the card were terrible) - and I'm mostly using Win2k.
                            The last major annoyance with ATIs Win2k drivers is the lacking performance in some games (30% less than in 98SE), but in applications there haven't been any problems at all.
                            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                            My System
                            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                            German ATI-forum

Comment

Joel: I agree that Neon250 was a fiasco, but the Kyro was a major step - I think it was the first time that powervr technology worked as it should. It still is amazing how a card clocked so low (115 core /115 memory) and with only 2 rendering pipelines performs at Geforce levels.

I am a big fan of Tile rendering. After all I had a m3D

But as I said sometime ago, what scares me the most is that Neon250 latest drivers are more than a year old. Now that´s even worse than ATI owners worst nightmares

Comment

Working...
                              X