Opinions on 22"-24" Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on 22"-24" Monitors

I have been interested in a large monitor and have narrowed choices down to:

NEC- FP1370 or FP1355 both 22"

Mitsubishi- DP2040U 22"

Sony- GDM-FW900 24"

I want the best picture and BNC connections.

The 22" don't seem much larger than 21" They have 20" viewable vs 19.8" viewable.

So, this makes the Sony GDM-FW900 look better for a larger viewing area.

What are your experiences with these larger monitors????

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Paul no need to get a new monitor you can get some Bifocals, man did they ever help me out! LOL

I got a Sony G400 the other day and love it, I would go with a Sony.
    Oboy

[This message has been edited by Oboy (edited 04 March 2001).]
    Time to make the wafers!
    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

You might as well go for the big one, go shop <A HREF="http://www.100inchtv.com/">here</A>.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Did you get the progressive's, Oboy? How did it feel taking your first step with them on? Don't eyes-dart-down while walking....messes with perception.

Everytime an urge strikes me for a bigger monitor, my wife tells me to just sit closer to the 19 incher.
        MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
        Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
        512MB regular Crucial PC2100
        Matrox P
        X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
        LianLiPC70

Comment

Of those three, definitely the 2040u.

If you want the best picture (and have an extra $700) check out Eizo's F980. They use better components than either Mitsubishi/NEC or Sony.

Comment

Paul,

I can tell you that I own the Mitsu DP2040u and it is one kick ass monitor. I use it for two computers since you can use both BNC and 15 pin DIN simultaneously and switch between the two with one button push. The 2 port USB hub is nice and one of them runs to the front. The front one is nice because I can quickly plug in my digital camera and then switch to my Joystick on the fly. My only complaint about the front USB port is that it is kind of at a crappy angle so you have to fiddle with it to get the cable in. Another complaint I have, the picture is not EDGE-TO-EDGE. It does measure 20", but there is about a 5/16" gap on the sides and a 1/8" gap on the top and bottom. The monitor is very flat and when I first saw it, it gave me the feeling that it was actually concave. It is also the lightest out of all of the competitors. The controls are endless. That's about all I can think of for now. Let me know if you have any questions.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I still recommend www.eye-q.de ...

Unfortunately their site is under reconstruction right now so that all info is available in German only, but that should change soon.

Their flagships are the Eye-Q 777 and the Eye-Q 778.

Both are 22" monitors, using a Diamondtronâ„¢ Natural Flat tube and that one is really flat ...

The 777 comes with variable dotch pitch from 0.25 (center) to 0.27 (edges), providing frequencies of 30-127kHz horizontal and 50-180Hz vertical, giving a maximum bandwidth of 288MHz.

The 778 has a unified dotch pitch of 0.24, providing frequencies of 30-121kHz horizontal and 50-160Hz vertical, giving a maximum bandwidth of 240MHz.

I'm working on Eye-Q monitors for about two years now (750 & 777) and they even kick the best Nokias in their butt ...

I just had a closer look onto the specs and it seems that the 777 is the only one equipped with BNC connectors (the others have two Dsub connectors) and it is priced at ~1400 US-$ on the manufacturers site, so the real street price should be a bit below.

Let me know, if you need further input on Eye-Q.

Cheers,
              Maggi
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Maggi, the 778 uses the same Mitsubishi Diamondtron tube as the 2040u. But the 2040 does have BNC connectors. As for the 777, I'd suggest staying away from variable pitch monitors. The larger pitch on the outside edges is usually used to mask misconvergence and other problems.

I was a big fan of Nokia until they sold their monitor division to Viewsonic. They were one of the few companies (other than Eizo/Nanao) that used top-notch components.

[This message has been edited by FrankDC (edited 05 March 2001).]

Comment

I don't know if you were wanting suggestions of other monitors, but here's mine: Iiyama VM Pro 510 - a bigger version of the 19" on my desk and that's pretty nice

P.
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!!!!!

I have worked with 4 or five different monitors with Diamondtron tubes and tend to favor the Sony Trinitron to Mitsubishi's Diamondtron. I'm using a new NEC 19" with a Diamondtron at work...Forget the model number but still prefer the picture on my 4 year old Dell Trinitron to the new Diamondtron.

I also don't see the advantage of a 22" with a 20" picture vs a 21" with a 19.8" picture.

I also did a Search and came up with a thread where Greebe gave a link to this review:
                    http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardwa...1&mscssid=&tp=

So, I decided to go for the big Sony GDM-FW900!!!!!
                    http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/products.../gdmfw900.html

Looks like I may break down and get a DVD-ROM finally to use the wide format screen on this Beast.

Paul

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Maggi:
                      Good to hear you're happy, Paul !

</font>
                      At $2000 a pop, Pauly better be happy with that monitor! He must have gotten a big fat tax return check!

Comment

My Sony G500 seems so insignificant now

Show us the pics!

Comment

Still at work!!!! Darn it

Paul

Comment

So Paul when do we come over to watch some DVD moves on your monster?
                            I'll bring the popcorn!

Oboy
                            Time to make the wafers!
                            Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
                            jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

I still have to get a DVD player for my system

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X