Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCChips motherboards

Not too much to say...
    In choosing my new system, I had to spend few money.

So, after deciding to go for a Duron 800, I had to choose a motherboard and a shop gave me a wide choose of them. I decided to go for one of the cheapest and...

IT WORKS!!!

And it really works well!!!

Rotfl...
    After a week of testing of it, I'm just a bit amused of how an ~90$ MB goes without problem. I've even overclocked a bit, and still no problems...

Again, ROTFL!

------------------
    Italian Guy, Bad English

D'ya want an Italian version?
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

From your topic name:
    <h1>Hahahaha!</h1>

Then I read the post:
    <h1>WTF!</h1>

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

You can bet on it. Although I had troubles with a cheap motherboard (Lucky-Star), mainly in setting win2k, I tried a Matsonic KT133 (PCChips) and it worked better than the POS Abit KT7-Raid.

I still wonder if I should have kept it instead of going with an asus A7V.

Actually I can´t get the system to work stable at AGP 2x with the A7V, no matter what bios revision I use or how many times I reseat the G400... Not a big deal, everything works rock stable at 1x, but I´m pretty sure it worked fine at 2x with the Matsonic board.

And now that I remember it, I´ve also had a Matsonic TX-pro (remember those ) with my P200MMX, and with good cooling it overclocked to an amazing 250 Mhz rock stable. Never had a problem with it, and it still works flawlessly after 3 years. With a Millennium I 4 Mb + Matrox m3D combo, of course!

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 05 March 2001).]

Comment

My PCChips M598 is dead!

Comment

I have a M571 with a P233MMX/128MB still going strong (currently out on lease, as it ran better than the lessee's CompaQ 300 Celeron/32MB)
          Funny enuf I run at AGP4x in my "POS" KT7, even now while I'm at 950. Worked with an A7V, didn't like it (I do believe that was due to them not cooing their Tbird properly though, but I did not like the bios
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

DentyCracker, I´m not saying the A7V is perfect. I also don´t like the bios interface. Actually I flashed today A7V bios 1007 and AGP2x *seems* to be finally working. I´ll comment on that later, but it still didn´t lock upon the desktop and it did loop 3dmark2k for 1 hour and did not crash. Longest it ran before at 2x was rougly 5 minutes. Performance is the same of course. But if it took 7 bios revisions (and the countless beta releases) to fix it, shame on them.

About the KT7-Raid, I sure loved the bios interface and all the tweaking options, but interestingly enough the A7V at "auto" for all memory/performance options and "optimal" for the system performance option is stable and faster than the KT7 with all the tweaks done.

Don´t get me wrong, I think the KT7 is a fine board but not as stable or compatible as the A7V. My usb scanner refused to work with any KT7 bios version and the system simply wasn´t stable over 106-107 fsb. The A7V does 111 fsb/148 memory with a TB 900 at default voltage (1.75).

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 06 March 2001).]

Comment

Pcchips motherboard working nah thats a contradition in terms.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well, since ECS took over PCChips (formerly known as PCS|-&#0124;&#0124;ts), none of their new VIA KT133 based motherboards have any problems. And the price is great.

Sure, some people will still spend all their money on an expensive Abit motherboard thinking they are safe with a well known brand (not realizing that the Abit KT7A was removed from AMD's recommended motherboard list), but that doesn't mean you have to be dumb, too.
                Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

V
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

First of all, I did work for a company that used to sell about 50 PCChips based PCs each month, and we usually had a a failure of 1-2 each 2-3 month; so, I was quite sure about reliability.

'Cause who is so stupid to think that Asus or Abit has the lead in mobo market? They produce motherboard mainly for the gaming market, so they do not have a big share.

PCChips and similar companies produce motherboards at a rate of thousands at the time, with "if it doesn't work, trash it" philosopy.

Well, apart from this, it's only a matter of how a mobo fit your needs.

My M807 has only 2 Dimm slots, but I have no intention to use three modules. While for others it can be a serious limit.

It has no support for ATA100 but I do not want to change my two ATA33 disks 'cause I have 30 gigs of space and partitioned only 20, so I see no needs for new disks. While someone can have the needs for bigger and faster disks.

It support 266 MHZ front side bus, which is a good thing.

It has no support for Oc, but I'm not an Oc'er, so it's no a problem for me.

Is my M807 better than other mobos? No, it's only the best for my needs at the cost of 80$.
                    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

PcChips mobo is on AMD's approved list!
                      That's a surprise.
                      Luckystar's isn't.
                      I still believe your better off spending a few $ more and get an Epox,mine does 4x,no problem.
                      System is:
                      Duron 700@1,000mhz.
                      Epox 8kta2
                      256 megs Crucial 133.
                      Matrox g400

Comment

Epox goood.

------------------
                        Epox 8KTA3 w/ Duron 850@7.5*133 with Alpha 6035, 256MB Crucial 7E, G400MAX,SBLive!-MP3,Pioneer 10x DVD, Plextor 12/10/32A, IBM 45GB 75gxp, and a Sony 420GS. Running RH7.0 (2.4.0-final), and Win98 (when I have to).
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                        X