T-bird or Duron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-bird or Duron?

I know there is probably a trillion of these posts in here allready, but I´m gonna ask anyway.

I can get a Thunderbird 700Mhz for about 170 dollars, but I can buy a Duron 700 Mhz for about 65 dollars. So is the T-bird worth the extra 100$ ??

I´ll be running a little of this and a little of that (games, word, surfing, moviewatching etc.) under Win98.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

I'd get the Duron. As a rule of thumb, a Duron could be considered about the same speed as a Thunderbird that is 50MHz slower. However, the money you save could buy you lots of other things, like a much faster Duron in a few months. And Duron's tend to OC a little better.

------------------
    Epox 8KTA3 w/ Duron 850@7.5*133 with Alpha 6035, 256MB Crucial 7E, G400MAX,SBLive!-MP3,Pioneer 10x DVD, Plextor 12/10/32A, IBM 45GB 75gxp, and a Sony 420GS. Running RH7.0 (2.4.0-final), and Win98 (when I have to).
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

$170!! Geez..where are YOU shopping..

www.pricewatch.com

Comment

Chris:

Do a seach on <a href="http://www.pricewatch.com">www.pricewatch.com</a>.

For $160 you can get a TBird 1GH! Unless, you have to get it locally then thats another issue.

Oops, didnt see EchoWars' link at the bottom..heh

[This message has been edited by Sir Hitech (edited 08 March 2001).]

Comment

He's got to be shopping locally
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Actually he´s shopping in Denmark... nothing comes cheap here Sucks!
            If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

I don't know where you're looking Chris, but it seems very expensive.

For the prices you mention, I could get 800 MHz, 950/1000 MHz respectively.

Although the current rate is 1 US$=8 DKK, if you count import taxes, lying, cheating and what not the rate is more like 1 US$=10 DKK.

Have a look at http://www.edbpriser.dk
              P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
              Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

personally id go for the duron and get a good cooler ive over clocked my duron to 900mhz and she runs at about 36celsius to a highe of 40celsius.....just wait until i get some artic silver on that baby and maybe add a delta fan should drop to a high of 34celsius and get to 950
                the cooler ive got is "cooler master" for athlon 1.2ghz (sorry dont know the product code)oooo almost forgot taisol is a good heat sinker so taisol sink + artic silver + delta fan(very loud so be careful) and your golden man and dont forget to unlock with pencil lead oh and one more thing...na forget it

------------------
                MSI K7TPro2 Duron 750@900
                256Ram G400DH32mb
                Pioneer SCSI 16xDVD
                DFI NFIIUltra 400
                756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
                Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
                Windows XP pro
                msn messenger id: gchisel
                Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

For those prices, I'd go with the Duron. They overclock _very_ well, and it is really a great buy if you do that. I've got my Duron 800 running at 1045 and it runs around 33C

Good cooling helps a lot with a large overclock.

Comment

I have a factory unlocked 900 T'bird and can't push it past 1064MHz, regardless of multiplier or FSB combinations.

Like they all say, those Duron's are alot of bang for the buck...

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 10 March 2001).]
                    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                    Matrox P
                    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                    LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
                    X