Network problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network problem

A friend of mine used to have a network at home with two PC's; it worked fine. He's just bought a new PC and added it to the network and now it doesn't work anymore.
    The three PC's are connected through a 100Mbit HUB and each one has a 10/100Mbit network adapter. One PC (let's call it A) has an extra network adapter that is connected to the internet through a cable modem.

The following connections can be made:
    A to C
    B to C
    C to B

Missing connections are:
    C to A
    B to A
    A to B

Obviously, all cables and adapters work, since they all establish at least one connection. Has anyone got the slightest idea of what might be going on here?

Thanks
    KT7 Turbo Ltd. Ed. ; Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1470 MHz (140*10.5); 512MB Apacer SDRAM ; G400 MAX ; Iiyama VM Pro410

V
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Sorry, forgot that. He uses TCP/IP.

Kruzin, let me see if I get this right; you added IPX/SPX and suddenly TCP/IP worked fine?

Helvetia, I don't have a dog but my gf's dog is called "Bono"

I'll let my friend know what might be going on, thanks for the info so far.
      KT7 Turbo Ltd. Ed. ; Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1470 MHz (140*10.5); 512MB Apacer SDRAM ; G400 MAX ; Iiyama VM Pro410

Comment

Problem solved! Eventually he just did a format c: on computer A and everything works just fine now.

Comment

It's amazing how much that solves
          System 1:
          AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
          Epox 8K7A
          2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
          an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
          SBLIVE 5.1
          Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
          IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
          Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
          3Com Hardware Modem
          Teac 20/10/40 burner
          Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

What's even more amazing is the fact that he had just done a format c: prior to connecting that PC to the network the first time. Oh well, it works now. Thank you guys for all the input

Comment

Sledgehammer to crack a nut.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Unfortunately, that pretty much sums Microsoft's "Solution" to desktop computing.
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

greetings,

You don't mention which network protocol you are using to talk to each other. also, it seems weird that A can talk to C but not the other way around. I'd disconnect one of the PC's(not the one connected to the internet), make sure that those two can talk to each other first, then add the third and see what happens. What do you mean by "talk" to each other? Are you using ping? Are you trying to browse? What nics are you using? Do you have the latest nic drivers? what is your dogs name?(kidding ).

Dave

------------------
                  What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I had a similar problem, one of the nic's was an older Realtek based card and when I tried a newer card in it's place, everything suddenly worked fine! He might wanna try that first
                    jim
                    System 1:
                    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                    Epox 8K7A
                    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                    SBLIVE 5.1
                    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                    3Com Hardware Modem
                    Teac 20/10/40 burner
                    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Can you ping "A" itself?
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

set one pc's 'browse master' (in file/print sharing) to enabled. Re-boot it.
                        set the rest to disabled. reboot them.
                        amd k62-350 @400 - tyan trinity 100AT 1590s - 128mb sdram - wd 10gb 5400/u33 - g200 8mb sgram agp - sb16pro isa - Realtek 8029 NIC -

Comment

Which protocols you are using is a major piece of info we need to know.

I had a similar problem setting up my office's LAN of 4 PCs. Certain ones could see others, but never could all see all.
                          This was running only TCP/IP, with static IPs assigned.

As soon as I added the IPX/SPX protocol all could see all, and everything has worked fine since.
                          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                          X