NT Remote Booting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT Remote Booting

Right Oh clever lot I have a question for y'all...

How do you get Remote booting working in NT?

I have an NT server (freezing in the loft ) at home and currently it don't do much apart from send my mail and be a shared drive, and now I want to experiment with remote booting PCs. Just had a bit of a play and I've installed the remoteboot service OK (along with the NetBeui and DLC protocols...) but it seems to only support about 5 network cards (all of which apart from 'NE2000' are about 5 years out of date) of which I don't have any. They all seem to be ISA cards (which is really unhelpful!)

So... do I really want to ask: What other software apart from NT's remoteboot service can I use to remoteboot PCs on my network? I have at least one Intel PCI NIC which has the RPL loader (Landesk or something) built in and wants to use IP to boot. So guys, any ideas?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

What's wrong with simply using Wake-on-Lan?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I mean boot PCs from the server's HDD (as in the workstations do NOT have a HDD in them !)

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

Comment

I see ... you want to use NICs with a boot PROM for diskless booting.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yeah OK I can get the NICs (or use intel PCI ones which seem to want to boot of the network card if you let them) but how do I set the server up?

Comment

Yeah OK I can get the NICs (or use intel PCI ones which seem to want to boot of the network card if you let them) but how do I set the server up?

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

Comment

We used to do this ages ago on a NetWare network but I don't recall how. It seems that Windows NT Does Not Provide Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP) Service, but if you add at least SP3, you'll gain BOOTP client support if you set up a DHCP server. Also read How to Configure DOS for Remoteboot In Windows NT 4.0.

Comment

Working...
              X