Win2K - bat files - region???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2K - bat files - region???

I created a text file using notepad. Then i changed the extension to a .bat file.

When i try to edit it in a command prompt i get a DOS(like) edit window but with a pop-up message saying "you must select a region first"

This is not a big problem, because Í don´t HAVE to edit in DOS mode, but what does it mean?

I´ve never heard of regions before (at least not in this context)
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Since Win2k's command prompt is not comparable to a Win9x or ME dos-prompt, have you tried the easier way of finding the batch file on your harddrive and just rightclick and choosing edit, to edit it?

Dude

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 03 March 2001).]
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Well I've just done this:
      Code:
      E:\>ren test.txt test.bat

E:\>edit test.bat

E:\>type test.bat
      echo Groovy

E:\>test

E:\>echo Groovy
      Groovy
      So, it appears I'm not affected?

P.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

btw, that was in cmd.exe - the following is in command.com
        Code:
        E:\>copy test.bat test16.bat
                1 file(s) copied.

E:\>edit test16.bat

E:\>type test16.bat
        echo More groovyness

E:\>test16

E:\>echo More groovyness
        More groovyness
        Is this what's causing a problem?

[edit]
        And I've now just tried it in cmd.exe using the various types of text file (ANSI/Unicode-Little and Big Endian/UTF-8), still can't reproduce this

Don't support you're trying to access a text file off a DVD
        [/edit]

[This message has been edited by Pace (edited 03 March 2001).]
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Nope... it´s not on a DVD

It´s not that it´s giving me that much grief. I can still edit the file.

I was just currious if anybody knew what the devil a "region" was as far as .bat files are concerned??
          If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

While I'm sure this isn't the fix to your problem, or even related to your problem, the only thing that comes to mind for me is the NLSFUNC command.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
            Nlsfunc
            Loads country-specific information. Windows 2000 and the MS-DOS subsystem do not use this command. It is accepted only for compatibility with MS-DOS files.
            </font>
            Again, I doubt it's related, but hey, it's a shot....

b

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Working...
            X