how low can RAM prices go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how low can RAM prices go?

I just bought 256meg 133 micron for $119 Canadian beaver bucks (thats $79 in yankee greenbacks).

Just how much lower can these things go, will I regret it 3 mos from now???

bongo

I wouldn't have thought they'd go too much lower.

We recently bought some Crucial Cas2 PC133 256MB modules for about £96 + VAT each (£112.80).

Even if they do drop a bit more in 3 months, you've had the use of your RAM for that long, which will probably outweigh the minor cost savings.

And if they prices go up, well, you're laughing all the way to bank!
    Phils PC Mods - a rough guide

Comment

Just bought 128megs of pc100 for £28.5 at a 'puter fair. Pc133 was about £29. Cant remeber what 256 megs was but it was about £60.

regards MD
      Interests include:
      Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

lowest i see memory going will be $65 for 256megs pc133 then i think it will take a turn towards higher prices again.

Comment

I thought it was a bargain when it was $170 for a 256 Infineon PC133 DIMM, so I bought one. Then when it dropped to $145, I bought another one, and wished I'd waited a bit longer. Now it's $125 and I'm tempted again. When will this vicious cycle end??!?! DAMN THEM ALL!!

Bart

[This message has been edited by The Rock (edited 22 February 2001).]
          Bart

Comment

Lower lower please.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You might not know when the memory reaches its lowest point. Its a gamble. If you keep buying it as the price drops, your average $/MB drops! I too bought ram when I thought it wouldn't go any lower, at $189.00. Now its so cheap!!

My advice is wait a little longer until DDR ram supply starts to increase. I imagine right then, the price of SDRAM will bottom out. As soon as DDR RAM starts becoming popular, SDRAM is going to go back up.

If you do buy SDRAM now, you may as well buy the very best. Buy CAS2 PC-133 if you have a 133 FSB and/ memory bus. If you wanna overclock your FSB/memory bus, then get CAS2 PC-150 !! That'll be fast.
              I figure its worth it to wait.

[This message has been edited by ccoltas (edited 24 February 2001).]

Comment

I'm waiting till they start giving it away at petrol stations with a tank of petrol
                1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Yes yes go lower and lower, I am in a need of some extra MBs.
                  Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

"Limbo lower now ... how low can you go .."

Dunno why, all your 'lower, lower' posts got me thinking of Limbo
                    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

At $197, I bought two sticks of 256MB Micron 7E (pc133 cas2). Then, the price went down to $110 or so. I bought two more.

Considering the prices of RAM last fall, I am happy with what I got and I do not regret paying $197 when I did because no one knew what the prices were going to be. I bought on the way down and not at their peak.

I think that everyone with any possible memory needs should buy now while it's incredibly cheap. The RAM companies are probably trying to get rid of their inventory as soon as possible in order to hit us with the newer parts.

Salmonius

Comment

Working...
                      X