can anyone identify this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone identify this?

need to reinstall OS on a P166 with either win95 or 98 so I need to get the drivers!
    can't get the OS up & running so can't copy the driver files.
    the Cirrus Logic chip the markings are
    CL-GD54M40-QC-A
    63091-712AB
    9601-A
    TAIWAIN
    the markings on the smaller chip are S3 Trio64/Trio32

[This message has been edited by ayoub_ibrahim (edited 22 February 2001).]

could it be a creative labs video card? i can see a cl-xxxxxxx designator on the chip. windows might have the driver built in it already. are their any clues on the backside?

cc

Comment

cl = cirrus logic!

....never mind

cc

Comment

No, the CL is Cirrus Logic, not Creative Labs.

I really dislike trying to get Cirrus's stuff up and running. The best way to avoid headaches is to spend $10 or $20 on a cheap/used video card.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

http://www.windrivers.com/SCRIPT/DRI...company=gd5440

and don't tell me you couldn't figure this out yourself

but that BIOS chip with S3 Trio32/64 markings is odd! maybe it's a BIOS chip that can be used on lots of graphic cards, and the company who manufactured that card decided to finish some leftover they had from a Trio32/64 production line or something?

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 22 February 2001).]

Comment

dZeus, I'd seen that but was unsure as the string didn't exactly match.
            thanks alot!

Comment

It appears to be a 2 meg video card,upgradeable to 4 megs,Win98 will have the default drivers for it.
              Win95 won't.
              Go here and do a driver search for gd54m40,they have it.
              http://www.driverguide.com/

The username and password is:
              Drivers
              All.
              These are the username and password issued for all users,so no great secret has been revealed!
              Click on log in,scroll and choose the option for driver search for drivers supplied by users.

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 25 February 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 25 February 2001).]

Comment

I'd say 1mb upgradeable to 2mb...

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by SteveC:
                  I'd say 1mb upgradeable to 2mb...

</font>
                  you're correct about the 1MB bit but no idea what it's upgradable to.
                  I've eventually reinstalled using win98 as I couldn't find a win95 cd! had to put a stick of 32Mb sdram I had lying around in addition to the 16 Mb of SIMM memory to make a grand total of 48Mb.
                  I had downloaded drivers for the ISA soundcard but the card seems to work fine with just the windows drivers. funny that!

Comment

Working...
                  X