• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVidia's MAC drivers suck!

What, NVidia having a driver issue?
    Get away!
    That never happens.
    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

I'm absolutely no fan of nVidia, but I wan't to remind you that it took over a year from the release of G400 to get deacent drivers (that also would work with DVD and subtitles)! And matrox is still havin'g trouble with the drivers .
      My system:
      | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
      homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Let's put that last post through my post verifier here, let's see:

Just what I thought.

Rags

Comment

Oh, and i who thought that it was the Mac OS that suck!
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Technoid:
            Oh, and i who thought that it was the Mac OS that suck!</font>
            Actually, I would prefer MacOS7.5 (the whole OS in 6-10 MB RAM after boot-up) and even MacOS8.1 anytime over any Windows version. It's just that if you are at least a bit into games there's currently no alternative to M$.

Only the the newer MacOS-versions are totally bloated, nearly as much as Windows.
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

NVidia's MAC drivers suck!

http://www.3dconcept.ch/cgi-bin/show.cgi?show=2098

The german computer magazine c't (a quite technical and good one, btw) has tested the newer G4-Macs that are equipped with GeforceMX cards - and found out that NVidias drivers had some severe bugs that were not apparent with ATIs drivers (worse drivers than ATI - oh my god!!!! ), besides the MX delivered really bad performance (at Rage128Pro-level or even below ) - seems NVidia rushed the release a bit too much...
              As a side note: Apple apparently started to offer the MX-based models with RadeonDDR-gfx at no extra cost again ...

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 19 February 2001).]
              My System
              German ATI-forum

Comment

Haha....haha...my sides hurt from laughing so hard....MacOS 7.5? ha ha.....

Comment

Funny that you mentions 7.5.5!
                  It's at the very top of my "Things to hate aboute Mac" List!
                  Especialy since it seems that the only thing you have to do to wreck it is to run two different ISP installer CD's on it in succesion!
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yeah sure, if you only play with PCs all the time and don't know how to set up another machine/OS correctly....

Besides the only thing that really messed my MAC-install up was Internet Explorer, once again: beware of M$'s products. They have the same attitude on the MAC as on the PC (thinking the system-folder is totally theirs and they can mess it up anyway they like, with replacing/deleting files without asking or even noticing the user).
                    Fortunately the MACs system-folder is transparent to the user (names like "Epson printer-extension" are slightly more meaningfull than "123f*ckM$.dll")

P.S.: I'm ONLY talking of 68k MACs, now with PowerMACs your mileage may indeed vary - the MACs lost most of their stability with the turn to the PPC, not to speak of low performance due to the still not fully native OS.

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 25 February 2001).]
                    My System
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Yeah sure, if you only play with PCs all the time and don't know how to set up another machine/OS correctly....</font>
                      BwahahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is the funniest thing I have ever read regarding a Mac. The whole idea of a Mac is ease of use. No setting up, just run it, no? That's always the biggest argument I see used by Mac users. They are always saying how easy the Mac is to set up compared to the PC, now you are saying you have to have suave skills to set up "the easiest machine" in the world? That's classic, thanks

Rags

Comment

I especially like the "P.S.: ..."

Thx Indy, I needed a good laugh about now
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Rags: Did you ever have a Mac or use/see one for more than just a few hours? Or is all you know about them from what you've heard MAC-users telling?
                          Of course you can just install the OS and get away with it, but you'll get better results if you "customize" your system-folder (sort the necessary from unnecessary extensions / control panels and the like). This is easier on a Mac then it would be on a PC as a.) the purpose of these files is not very hard to understand, b.) they're usually quite easy to tell which application they belong to and c.) there's are much less of these files than in the typical windows system(32)-folder.

Greebe: It's quite well known at old-time MAC-users that the once stable system got seriously buggy when the PPCs with their 68k-emu came (Error code -11, anyone?).
                          If you're laughing at anyone still using an 68k: the 68060 can beat the 601 and is not that far from 603e's in quite a few applications. That's mainly because Apple really screwed up with the earlier PPCs memory-access and because of the sometimes still needed 68k-emu.
                          My System
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

I had to use one on a daily basis for 2 years. Never liked it, sorry. I never got the obsession with them, really.

I like having more settings to mess with than what the Mac ever gave me. I am a gadget person by heart, and the Mac is the least gadget-satisfying computer I have ever used

Oh, and it was anything but stable

Rags

Comment

Indy, I was laughing for three reasons.
                              1. OS is not native and...
                              2. regardless of Apple wanting everyone to buy into their G3/G4 architectures, both are slower than the specs would indicate due to #1.

and

3. Makes you wonder how much marketing crap peeps got sucked into spending their 1000's of $$$ on. Tho this is common place for PC's, Apple prided themselves on a supposedly perfect, fool proof systems for the masses.
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X