I need some video card help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some video card help...

Well as much as I hate to post this on here as a former and future Matrox owner, I have a friend who I got an Radeon SDR video card to replace his old Intel 740 video card. I posted this over at rage3d and I haven't gotten a reply about it so what the hell I'll try here.

The Problem I'm having is that when I goto try and install the drivers and it reboots, the windows splash screen comes up then the montior shuts down like its going to a power save mode and I can't get it to turn om again. I tried the drivers that came with the card and the 7072 special purpose drivers off ATI's web site with no luck. I did a "clean" install of drivers per the directions on Rage3d. The motherboard is a Lucky Star BX board, but I don't have the excact model number in front of me now (at work).The Card works fine in my system so its not a bad video card. The Radeon's IRQ is 11. Only thing I think that might be affecting it is that the computer was upgraded from Win95 to Win98, and the radeon cards don't work with 95. Anyone have any suggestions?

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 rev 1.0 Celeron 2-566@877mhz,256mb RAM,ATI Radeon AIW,SB Live! with Klipsch Promedia v2-400, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem,WinME on Western Digital 30GB drive
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Sounds like the refresh rate that the new graphics card is putting out is too high for the monitor to cope with.
    Quite why this should happen on the default setting I'm not sure..

Make sure you have the right monitor selected, and that that box to hide modes the monitor cannot display is checked, then try again. You could try setting to a low resolution (640x480) too. Adjust it once you have got the machine to boot.

------------------
    Unreal Fortress developer

Comment

Hi Scott,

a similar sounding thing happened to a friend of mine when he tried to update his Radeon drivers to the latest W98 beta drivers. The system rebooted and then during W98 startup the monitor went into standby mode and stayed there! Unistalling the drivers didn't seem to correct the problem.

In the end, due to other system problems, we reformatted and then reinstalled W98 + the beta radeon drivers. This seemed to go OK but I think there were boot problems when using the 32 bit colour mode which did not occur in 16 bit colour. Could be worth a look?

hope this helps, - Simon

Comment

Working...
      X