Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage regulator / Molex cables ?

Hi,

I´m looking for some sort of voltage regulation for my Golden Orb because of the fan being too loud.

As I can not build a regulation for myself (I don`t know how to use a soldering iron ) I´m in need of a complete one. Heard that a "Molex" cable could be a solution, but found nothing on their homepage.

Any suggestions ? Any advice would be appreciated.

MK

------------------
    EPoX BX7+100, Celeron II 566@859 MHz, Golden Orb, 256 MB PC133 Crucial (2-2-2), G400 16MB (Bios 1.9-33, PD 5.52, TGL V1.3), Highpoint U-ATA100 RAID, IBM DPTA 20,0GB U-ATA100, SB PCI128, Mitsumi CR-4801TE, Pioneer 36x slot-in, ZIP100, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400, Plustek 9636T, HP 930C, Win`98 SE
    <font size="1">
    Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
    ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
    Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
    2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
    256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
    Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
    ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
    Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
    Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
    Plustek Optic Pro U12B
    HP Deskjet 959C
    Plantronics LS1 Headset
    all on W2k Professional SP2
    </font>

How about using a 9v battery eliminator wallwart then?

another means to use reduced voltage would be to wire the fan across the +12 and +5 vdc legs of the PS. The result is 7vdc

But...

Gorb fans don't produce much sound as it is and the HS isn't that good, so if you reduce the fan speed & thus lower air flow I sure hope the cpu doesn't lockup or even die on you.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe - believe me my Orb is incredible noisy. I don`t know why And it`s an original one !

Sorry if that`s a dumb question: What is a "wallwart" ?

I have 2 left hands when dealing with power cables. Is there a instruction on the net somewhere how to do that ? And can I get 10V too ?

Thanks for your help

MK
      <font size="1">
      Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
      Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
      Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
      Plustek Optic Pro U12B
      HP Deskjet 959C
      Plantronics LS1 Headset
      all on W2k Professional SP2
      </font>

Comment

a wallwart is... http://www.google.com/search?q=wallwart

Do you have a means to measure voltage?

Here's a pic if the ATX connector.

If you connect between the 3.3 and +12 legs it will give you 8.7vdc or between +5 and +12 will result in 7vdc.

------

Has this fan always been loud or is this somthing that's worsened over time?

If it's the latter the fan is defective and lowering it's voltage, while reducing how loud (and how well it cools), may cause it to fail to start on bootup!
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe - ahh, now I know what you mean. But unfortunately I don`t have a means to measure voltage and no soldering iron either. And I think the wallwart is not an appropriate solution ...

No, the fan has been that loud since it was shipped to me. It is doubling my system`s noise !

Now I´m trying to get a "Radial Fin Cooler" by Molex. It`s said that their slowest model with a 3500 rpm fan is completely inaudible ! Allegedly it can cool my Celery II running at 850MHz @ 1.65V. But the price (45$) incl. shipping is a pain in the arse ...

But anyway, thank you very much for your help !

MK
          <font size="1">
          Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
          Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
          Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
          Plustek Optic Pro U12B