GEfart3 news...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEfart3 news...

Well I don't know if anyone has seen this yet as of 8:40AM EST voodooextreme.com was showing shots of DOOM3 powered by the GEforce3 at MAC expo out in japan.

It looks like Nvidia has been hitting the crack pipe again...get this they are launching the Geforce3 on the MAC! Apple is getting excusive rights I guess for the first week or two before its released for PC. Also from what I've seen posted they are talking anywhere from $350 to $600 bucks for a GeFart3 video card. The Doom3 screen shots look very impressive, though. I wonder what Matrox is gonna have for us next month .

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 rev 1.0 Celeron 2-566@877mhz,256mb RAM,ATI Radeon AIW,SB Live! with Klipsch Promedia v2-400, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem,WinME on Western Digital 30GB drive
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

...mumble, grumble...
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

NVIDIA is trying to get in good with Apple and take over ATI's OEM deal. The top 3 out of 4 new G4s came with the MXs and only the lowest end came with an ATI card. Users were having problems with these MX boards and Apple started offering the new G4s with Radeons as an option to the MX. NVIDIA isn't messing around pursuing the OEM business.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yeah, the evil tyrant NVidia is going for the kill with ATI. They are going after some of the lucrative OEM deals that have kept ATI in buisness... ugh

Comment

The whole Mac thing makes me wonder...

Mac's are primamrily used by graohic design people, or at least 95% of all Mac users I know use them for graohics design of one form or another. This is one of the reasons that ATi has been used in Mac, because they have good picture quality. Now Mac is using nVidia. Aren't they the company that said, "to hell with looks, let's make it fast?"

Why doesn't Matrox make video cards for Macs? Matrox cards by far have the nicest display quality, the best color and good drivers (unlike ATi). To me it would ... sense. So I guess that's why it has never been done.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I can just see it now. Nvidia will produce yet another $500+ video card that still has the industries worst 2D display. Oh the irony.

Bart
            Bart

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Jammrock:
              Now Mac is using nVidia. Aren't they the company that said, "to hell with looks, let's make it fast?"</font>
              I thought that was 3DFx...
              When NVidia started being competitive (with the TNT) they actually had the quality-argument on their side against the main competitor 3DFx with offering 32Bit, Anisotropic filtering, textures finally larger than those crappy 256x256 pixels,...
              Of course the picture-quality argument was only valid in 3D-rendering, the TNTs 2D was simply terrible. But OTOH 3DFx' chips needed to passthrough the 2D which was even worse... But the 3DFx-fans claimed the Voodoo2 was FASTER and because of this many bought those Voodoo2 cards .
              It was only with the Voodoo5 that 3DFx suddenly held the image-quality argument high, but now NVidia was clearly faster, now guess what most people would buy?
              You see, this "the 'average user' just cares for speed and doesn't give much for quality" has quite some tradition. Only the companies involved have changed - or you could say NVidia have learned their lesson well...

Matrox has always had their focus on quality, thus having a quite small but very enduring user-base.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2"> Matrox cards by far have the nicest display quality, the best color and good drivers (unlike ATi). To me it would ... sense. So I guess that's why it has never been done.</font>
              There WERE Matrox-cards for the MAC in the "early days", don't know why they stopped supporting the MAC (esp. since those MAC-people don't really care for performance as long as it is "sufficient"). But Matrox recently have announced a G4x0 based Dual-Head card for the Mac again. Could give them some OEM sales when you think about the MACs heavy usage in video-studios, DTP and professional graphics - all of which would really profit from a fully featured DualHead display.

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 22 February 2001).]
              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
              My System
              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
              German ATI-forum

Comment

nVidia's Riva128 chip already had that 'performance over display quality' slogan.

Indeed with the TNT it was that nVidia offered 32 bit graphics that the Voodoo series didn't, but the TNT just doesn't have the fillrate to cut 32 bit (and in most games even my G400 doesn't in my opinion). Voodoo Banshee and up also had a quite reasonable 2D core, where as nVidia continued to use their rotten implementation

Comment

At 76Billion Flop/sec, could the GPU be used
                  to do distributed processing?

Comment

Man, what a hype-fest.

Joel
                    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Well hype or not,that's going to be what the G800 and radion II are going up against,at least when it comes to 3d performance and features.

note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                      P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

*awaits for ants or greebe's standard taunting w/ their G800 knowlege*

Comment

Damn, can't think of anything we'll have to wait for Greebe

Comment

People, people, people...(ok, person, person, person )

If the final display output sucks, how can the 3D quality be good? You see, it's the output problems which hinder 2D also, for some bizarre reason, affect 3D as well

Paul.
                            Meet Jasmine.
                            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
                            X