Dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question

Okay I know should remember this but how do you persuade under win2k Ie not to startup when the dial up connection is made.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Go:

My computer
    Control Panel
    Network+Dialup Connections
    Right click on your dialup connection to be used.
    Select "Connect" at the top

------------------
    Lawrence
    Lawrence

Comment

Nope that ain't the solution that will just cause it dial up your provider. As far as I can see the settings are identical to the other providers and they don't open IE when the connection is made.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Still got this annoying prob. Anyway to stop IE5 starting on the machine doing the Internet connection sharing???
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Best way I found out is to tell IE on both machines, never to dial in. Go to Tools, Internet Options. One the window that pops up, go to the Connections tab, and check at every ISP stated there that it should NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION.

Also useful, if you use Zone Alarm, set the internet manually locked, when you start up Windows. ICS has the annoying feature of bugging your PC's IRQs, even when there's no internet connection. Locking the internet through ZA (or another program) unlocks those IRQs.

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jordan I thought as well so I doubled checked the settings and they all say never dial connection.
            The settings as far as I can see are the same for all my other isps who don't start up IE5.
            It's something the setup software from the Btinternet website has buried into the registry.
            Unfortunatley the site wouldn't give the dial in number and settings forcing me to use there dumb software. It didn't give me the any option over this otherwise I would have said "don't do that".
            It's nothing serous it's just annoying.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Isn't it that when you make an internet connection, that the connection-program automatically starts up another browser than you want?

To overcome this, is to tell Windows that the other browser you use should be started every time you make an internet connection. I have such an ISP, which started up IE all the time.
              From the time I started using Mozilla, I always told Windows to use that browser instead of ^%&^%#IE

It works for me that way.

If that's not what you meant, please elaborate?

Jord.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

I don't want a browser to start at all. The machine is just providing an internet connection to the rest of the network. Otherwise it just sits there collecting weather data, printing, dialing up the internet or faxing. It's basically a server.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Ah, I understand.

But if your ISP uses a program to call in (the program that stores the phone number, plus your login-name and password, then as far as I know there's nothing you can do about it, but for maybe delete every browser you have (go to a Windows Light version).

Antoher option would be to take on another ISP that doesn't sport such an annoying start-up browser program (and usually it goes directly to it's own homepage as well).

At least I haven't found a way around this problem yet.

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Ah the problem is Btinternet dailup is free and this was a free offer to upgrade to there newest offering until my exsisting subscription runs out.
                    At presnt I can ring up anytime on my poor little modem and not incurr any phone charges.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                    X