Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use a CuMine CPU with an Asus P2B MB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use a CuMine CPU with an Asus P2B MB?

I wan to upgrade from a Celeron 400 to something like 850E or 800E with an Abit converter card. Is this going to work?

It all depends on the revision number of your mobo.
    I have a rev 1.02 of the P2B, and it will not run a coppermine based chip. It cannot supply the proper voltage for the chip (so a recently inherited coppermine slot1 700 I got will not run on it).
    Newer revisions supposedly can pull it off.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

But of course, Maggi should show up any time now, telling you how he got a coppermine celeron to run on his rev 1.02....
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

But I thought the converter card will take care of the voltage. I saw the Abit converter card and it has some jumpers to let you set the CPU voltage.

Comment

I think that's how Maggi got his running, although it is probably at a higher voltage than spec'd (the voltage reg on the 1.02 p2b does not go as low as coppermine is spec'd for).

Since my coppermine is a slot1 chip, there is no way for me to do this, so I have not looked into what the slockets can do.

Comment

Here is a thread where Maggi was trying to help me out...there may be some info in there you can use...

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000105.html

Comment

Here's some more reading on the subject.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Check here for the compatibility charts.

------------------
                Andrew
                Carpe Cerevisi
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

And more reading on the subject http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002116.html, http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002723.html, and http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002746.html.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 21 February 2001).]
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

unfortunately a voltage selection on a slot-convertor is only usefull for raising the voltage _above_ official spec of the CPU (like for overclocking). If you're motherboard can't supply the voltage needed (or something that's close to the voltage needed, then you're out of luck). At least, I haven't seen any slot-convertors on the market with voltage regulators (I think 2 were planned by companies in the past, but never made it to the market).

Comment

It will work fine,provided you do a few things...

Update the motherboard bios to the latest version available for that particular board.

Get the asus slot to socket adapter(S370-DL one)and leave all the jumpers in their default position(the card ships that way),the voltage will be supplied by the adapter,so it won't matter if you have a motherboard that won't go below 2.0v.

Make sure that the p3 you've chosen runs on a 100 mhz fsb and that the memory you're using can run at 100mhz or better(pc 100 or pc133).

You'll also have to change some jumpers on the motherboard relating to fsb operation(66 to 100mhz fsb)and agp settings as well,from 1/1 at 66mhz(what the celeron uses) to 2/3 at 100 mhz(p3's running on a 100 mhz fsb)

I did that very same upgrade on my bro's system and it works like a charm(celeron 466 to a p3 800 o/c'd at 960 mhz at 120 mhz fsb)and it's been running like that for about 3 months now(on generic pc 100 sdram no less... ).

The only thing that won't work will be the cpu temperature readout in the bios,but that's no big deal if you've got enough cooling anyways.

Hope that helps... .
                      note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                      P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

Superfly... does that Slot-1 convertor have a voltage regulator??? If so, I am very interested in it!

I don't really see one in the picture here:

I'm very interested in it, because I've got an old AT size 440ex chipset mobo (low-cost LX solution) that I could upgrade to a speedy Celeron-2, but only if I can supply the right voltage to it. The mobo won't go lower than 2.0 or something

Comment

Yup....it's the chip right next the the socket itself,that's the vrm(voltage regulator module).

In fact,the adapter can go as low as 1.5v(i have one in front of me as i type).

And yes the adapter will provide the correct voltage to whichever socket 370 cpu you choose as long as it's jumpers are left to their default position.

You can change the voltage being supplied to the cpu by changing the jumpers on the adapter,but that only has uses for those special applications(read overclocking... ).

Is your AT board an asus as well and do you have an updated bios available for it???.

note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                          P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

So what's the fastest FCPGA PIII chip that someone's gotten to work on these slockets in a P2B? Non o/c'ed.

Comment

Working...
                            X