ATA100 HD on ATA33 mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATA100 HD on ATA33 mobo

I just got me a new Quantum Fireball Plus AS 40GB drive. It's got an ATA100 interface. My motherboard, an Asus P2B-S, has ATA33. My question is, since the drive will be running in ATA33 mode, can I use a standard ATA33 (40 conductor) cable, or do I need an ATA66/100 (80 conductor) cable?

Thanks doods.

------------------
    Andrew
    Carpe Cerevisi
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Found the answer here. If anyone can confirm that it works with a 40 wire cable, it would still be appreciated

------------------
    Andrew
    Carpe Cerevisi
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

not exactly the same but for what it's worth, I had no problems running an ATA66 hdd on a p2b using the ata33 ide cable.

Comment

Well, drive is installed, operating systems reinstalled, everything works great with a standard cable. Now what am I going to do with all this space? Off to blockbuster I guess

------------------
        Andrew
        Carpe Cerevisi

Comment

explanation... the only real difference between ATA33 cables with only 40 conductors and ATA66/100 cables with their 80, is the later has 40 extra grounds. One per signal line. This reduces noise when driving at the higher speeds and thus if the drive is only running at ATA33 speeds then it should not have any problems what so ever.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X