Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the proper way to network with win 2k and ME, using a router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the proper way to network with win 2k and ME, using a router?

I have had a linksys befsr41 dsl router (4 port) for a while now but I think my configurations are wrong. I have client for ms networks on both. Have used the network wizard on the ME computer (easy) setup the computer name, put on mshome workgroup. Now the win 2k system its a little more difficult, I have also set it in mshome workgroup, named computer but there is an issue with logging on, I have it right now so that it aoutmatically detects me as admin, do I need to change this and put in a password? I can see everything on the win ME system but get a password error when trying to access the win 2k system. Is there a better setup than what i've got here. I don't think I want to use netbui because I heard it slows things down. Thanks
    Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

There is a better configuration, and the problem lies with User and permission configurations, not with the networking. If you want to fix the autologon to the Admin, you need to go to Users config under control panel, and select the box at the top of the tab.

For the problem with WinME accessing Win2k, you need to configure a user name on WinME, preferably your name, with no password. Then in the Win2k system, under the same Users config tab, hit the add user button. Then type in the name you used on the WinME system and use no password. This should fix the sharing problem.

You can use passwords, but they must be the same for each system, otherwise it wont work.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    P=I^2*R
    P=I^2*R
    Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

PS, it does slow down the access a little to non Win2k systems, but it is much faster and more efficient than TCP/IP for file sharing.

------------------
      P=I^2*R
      P=I^2*R
      Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

Comment

HUH????????
        "PS, it does slow down the access a little to non Win2k systems, but it is much faster and more efficient than TCP/IP for file sharing."

I hope to god that you've missed something out of the sentance there!

You could enable the guest account, (if the machines are on the private network. on the internet,.. _bad_ idea).

If you end up with the wrong user name and password, you should be able to still enter the user name and password in the dialogue box.

Kookstick, Is this the modem ?<a href="http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5">linksys modem?</a>

I'm not familiar with the cable setup in your area,.. does each machine get a public IP? or does the cable modem do NAT?

Colin

You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

Colin - I mixed up what I meant to say. For some reason TCP/IP with Win2k slows down when accessing Win 9x clients such as WinME. but NetBUI is the best for filesharing, but does not slow the access.

Sorry for the misunderstanding

------------------
          P=I^2*R
          P=I^2*R

Comment

HUH?

Netbios?? NetBEUI? - No Way - stay completely the hell away from either of those bandwidth mongering, packet eating, bit-bucket filling, ... you get the idea...

It's bad enough that MS has to add NetBios packets wrapped in a TCP/IP packet, but sheesh. If you want to have tons of broadcast data on your network go ahead and add NetBIOS (NetBEUI).

::: Leave them out. Use the DHCP on the BFSR (linksys router) as your setup. Tell it to use DHCP for wins.

Enable the guest account - or create an account with the userid that you use on your ME system.

IT's very straight forward.

I've got 2 ME systems, and 2 Linux (SAMBA) connected to my 2K box with nothing but TCP/IP. And it ROCKS!!

Guyver
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950
            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Guys, I had it working once before and only used client forms networks and tcp\ip and file and printer sharing enabled. I think the problem lies in the setup of the users\passwords. I will mess around with that and report back. Thanks
              Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

Working...
              X