Firewall recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewall recommendation

Cn anyone recommend a good firewall for win2k ?

------------------
    I like to con people, but I also like to insult them. What if I could combine the two, I would call it - Consult !

The latest version of ZoneAlarm seems to work fine in win2k.
    And it´s free for personal use.

http://www.zonelabs.com/

Comment

I second that recommendation.

Comment

I don't really like Zone Alarm as much as I like Sygate Personal Firewall.

Rags

Comment

Is that app able to block the code that open endless IE windows when browsing?

Spazm
          P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

spazm, webwasher will do that. (do a search

and I use Black ICE Defender.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Honestly, I use no firewall on my machine. There is one in my DSL router.

Comment

ZA works fine for me (and alot of others from what I have read) and it is free like stated above. It doesn't significantly increase my latency when gaming either. I do have cable tho...

------------------
                AsusP3B-F,P3 880 Slot1, 256mgsPC133,G40032megSH, Diamond MX300,13.5gigs of HD's,52X CDrom,WinME, PD 5.41 w/ 6.10ICD,Altec Lansing ATP3Subwoofer,
                Envision 17",Terrayon Cable modem w/D-Link nic,1 grey cat,1 black cat & 1 calico
                AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

I tried software firewalls and found that they use way more resources than I was willing to give up and were a pain to configure. Also they didn't work very well as many intrusions got through even with all the features on, and the more features that were turned on the more resources they used.

Yes, I used all the ones in this discussion and then some.

I finally boxed out my cable connection by using the Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL router. It has a built in 4 port switch, DHCP server (you don't have to leave one system on for the rest of your LAN to see the internet) and a hardware firewall. When I test it using the various online firewall testing sites they can't even see my LAN, much less penetrate it.

It requires no running software on the connected systems other than Internet Explorer which is used to access its internal setup program.

This is what the SHIELDS UP! site reports;

===============

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!

One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

===============

When SHIELDS UP! tried probing my ports all the tested ones were in STEALTH mode and it issued this report;

===============

Port Status Descriptions:

Stealth!

If all of the tested ports were shown to have stealth status, then for all intents and purposes your computer doesn't exist to scanners on the Internet!

It means that either your computer is turned off or disconnected from the Net (which seems unlikely since you must be using it right now!) or an effective stealth firewall is blocking all unauthorized external contact with your computer. This means that it is completely opaque to random scans and direct assault. Even if this machine had previously been scanned and logged by a would-be intruder, a methodical return to this IP address will lead any attacker to believe that your machine is turned off, disconnected, or no longer exists. You couldn't ask for anything better.

===============

SHIELDS UP! is at http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

SYGATE's site reported the same results including the scans for the trojan ports.

The Linksys Cable/DSL router is a great product. It also comes in 1 port and 8 port models ranging from $90-180 or so street. I paid about $150 for my 4 port model.

It can provide internet sharing for up to 253 computers.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 11 February 2001).]

Comment

I´m using Norton Personal Firewall 2001 that has won several awards (for example c`t Magazine here in Germany). It also provides stealth ports and all the other stuff you need.

And the best thing is there is NOTHING to configure. :-)

MK
                    <font size="1">
                    Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                    ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
                    Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
                    2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
                    256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
                    Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                    ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
                    Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
                    Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
                    Plustek Optic Pro U12B
                    HP Deskjet 959C
                    Plantronics LS1 Headset
                    all on W2k Professional SP2
                    </font>

Comment

Norton personel firewall and thers nothing to configure. Funny that thats one of the main reasons why I haven't applied the latest patch since it blows all my old rules rule away and I would have to reconfigure it again.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I tried NORTON. It was a major resource hawg and caused instabilities in my editing setup. Nothanks. The Linksys is totally transparent and uses no resources.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc
                          soon I'll be able to connect to an ADSL line here (512kbps only)
                          This ( http://www.watchguard.com/products/fireboxsoho.asp ) firewall is available here, in Sweden.
                          Is it something to think about? And it is not too expensive.
                          Oh, yes. I also need all resources to video
                          Your opinion will be appreciated, as always.

Fred H

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 11 February 2001).]
                          It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Does anyone know of a firewall that allows you connect via a standard modem?
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I tried ZoneAlarm but it didn't seem to work at all (Win2K advanced server).
                              I'm currently using Tiny Personal Firewall which I found on Cnet and it seems to be really nice, if you want to give it a try and post your impressions: http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...0-4685681.html

------------------
                              I like to con people, but I also like to insult them. What if I could combine the two, I would call it - Consult !

Comment

Working...
                              X