Win2k SP2 fixes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k SP2 fixes...

www.ipkonfig.com has a list of the fixes - anyone wanna scan through it for the fix/feature we wanna see

Paul.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Doesn't matter unless/until someone hacks out the Whistler drivers. People with Whistler report that dual-head works on the built-ins but not with the Win2k's.

Now, if someone wants to hack out those drivers and send 'em to me, I'll be happy to slap them into this system and see if they do what we want, considering I have SP2.

In fact, if I get un-lazy I might do it myself. Heh.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Pace,

Win2k with no service packs supports UDMA just fine for me and many other people. I'm really wondering exactly which controllers this supposed "fix" is for?

UDMA is a driver issue, not an OS issue.

And yes, I've heard all the arguments to the contrary, and I don't buy it. My RAID runs HELLA FAST, and the benchmarks show it is near or at its speed potential. So what isn't "enabled"?

- Gurm

------------------
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Well, getting ATA-100 support isn't possible until they fix the problem, much like NT didn't allow DMA without some serious hacking sometime back. I think also they are addressing the HPT-366 UDMA controller problem that so many BP6 and BE6 users have suffered with for the past year or so (BSOD, Lockups and damn weird behavior in general).

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Do you mean that UDA doesn't work on win2k? Last time I checked my drive was stated as a UATA/66 and seemed activated.

Spazm
          P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

I was meaning UDMA support

And, please help me, what is Whistler?

Paul.
            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Spazm:

I know what you mean. My U100 RAID is working just fine, and running REALLY fast. I can't guarantee that it's hitting U100, since no drive out there actually bursts at 100MB/sec. - but it's running hella fast.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Em, I was only kidding...

But I do believe that they are adding in support for ATA/100 - I seem to recall that.

Oh, and Gurm, what controller are you using? I'm using an SA6R and have had a few problems in Win2k (and that's without the RAID installed!)

Paul.
                Meet Jasmine.

Comment

I'm using a Promise FastTrack-100 (well it's an onboard FastTrack-100 "Lite" patched to full RAID).

No problems at all, hella fast. Works like a charm.

Whose chipset is your board using?

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

ATA/100 works fine on my Abit VP6. As was stated before this *fix* is probably added support for 100 controllers on Intel boards like the 66 fix.
                    C:\DOS
                    C:\DOS\RUN
                    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

i815e, with the OB raid unused and not 'installed'

Paul.
                      Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Intel always provided its own UltraATA drivers for the 8xx chipsets and has always supported ATA66/100 in Win2000.

Even comes with a companion utility to verify correct operation.

Comment

Hmmmm, replaced my Maxtor 27g DMA/66 drive on my Primary IDE with an IBM 45g. 2000 now shows it as PIO. I have DMA/100 fine on my 3 & 4 IDE controllers. My Maxtor 27g has UDMA just fine if I replace it. Also I'm sure if I coverted my 45g down to 66 it would probly boot up in UDMA. Gonna try installing Via 4.28 drivers to see if I can get UDMA back and then installing SP2.

*This is just with 2000 installed. NOTHING ELSE. ohh...this is on my VP6.
                          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Just like I thought. Installing the latest VIA drivers fixed it.
                            \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Working...
                            X