Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the hell is the GART file and what does it do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell is the GART file and what does it do?

I keep hearing about it, my video card required me to install it, it's in the via drives but I have no clue what it is.

Dave

------------------
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Do you mean Viagart.cat? Basically it's an inf file with a cat extension.

Three ways to do it.

First, which I never tried, is using WinZip. Go to AGP folder of 4 in 1 drivers, make a .zip file using Viagart.inf & Viagart.vxd. Rename as Viagart.cat and put back into the AGP folder.

Second is to DL it. I got mine from one of these two places
    http://hyper-cooled.gnw.de/epox_via_treiber.htm

ASUS also has it on their ftp site

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/TREIBER/CHIPSATZ/VIA/viagart.zip

Third is some say don't worry about it.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 07 February 2001).]
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

I think the GART driver is the driver for the AGP port, and if not, it's between the system driver and the videocard driver. It handles all the use of AGP tecturing and stuff.

Comment

Originally, GART stood for (IIRC):

Graphics Addressing Relocation Table

Because all it contained was a list of addresses to remap certain calls.

However, it has evolved into a full-blown system-level "driver" of sorts for the AGP port, which of course requires substantially more manipulation of data than just remapping of addresses.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

And all the wonderfull AGP grafix card drivers out there replaces the installed GART driver with the latest INTEL one!
          that's why VIA chipset mobo owners should REinstall Via4in1 after they install the drivers for theyr grafix card's!
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

ERRRRP! Wrong answer! Maybe with a few select cards years ago, but that's not the case or the norm.

Rags

Comment

Most notably almost all incarnations of the Rage128...

- Gurm

P.S. Remember when the Rage128 drivers shipped in "Intel" and "VIA" flavors?

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm:
                Nope, but I remember when Matrox's drivers did.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I do too, and those drivers should have only installed a gart when the installed one was either missing or inappropriate.

Rags

Comment

Thanks for the info folks, helps clears things up a bit.

Dave
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                    X