So what do you think of the Kyro ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what do you think of the Kyro ?

I'm still waiting for the final product to be reviewed, but so far it seems quite interesting.
    Tile based rendering seems like the way to go.
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

The Kyro II is one of the two alternatives I`m considering (second is ATI Radeon DDR) if Matrox is not going to deliver a new card this year.

Does anybody know how the image quality of the Kyro based cards is ?

MK

[This message has been edited by MK (edited 02 February 2001).]
    <font size="1">
    Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
    ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
    Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
    2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
    256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
    Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
    ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
    Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
    Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
    Plustek Optic Pro U12B
    HP Deskjet 959C
    Plantronics LS1 Headset
    all on W2k Professional SP2
    </font>

Comment

The tests I've read pretty much agreed that the 2D and 3D quality was better than nVidia's, so that's a plus
      "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

My view on the Kyro is that the idea is great, the bang for buck is good, but at the end of the day, what's the support like? I don't see anybody behind the name that is going to deliver in terms of support and drivers as well as the more established companies.

Comment

I`m doing a lot of 2D work for my studies, therefore I`m worried about picture quality in case my next card is not from Matrox.

Is the ATI Radeon compareable or equal to the G400 in terms of 2D quality in 1024 x 768 x 32 @ 100Hz ?

MK

(Already had BAD experiences with quality & NVidias chips, so I´m not going to get one of these)

------------------
          EPoX BX7+100, Celeron II 566@850 MHz (8.5x100), 128 MB PC133, G400 16MB SH (Bios 1.3-22,PD 6.10), on board Highpoint U-ATA100 RAID controller, IBM DPTA 20,0GB U-ATA100, Iomega ZIP100, SB PCI128, Mitsumi CR-4801TE, Pioneer 36x slot-in, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400, Plustek OpticPro 9636T, HP 930C, Win`98 SE
          <font size="1">
          Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
          Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
          Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
          Plustek Optic Pro U12B
          HP Deskjet 959C
          Plantronics LS1 Headset
          </font>

Comment

MK:

The Radeon is VERY comparable in 2D quality to Matrox, according to friends of mine who have them. Matrox still rules at 1280x1024 and 1600x1200, but at 1024x768, you won't be disappointed with a Radeon. I'll know more when I find some sucker to buy my GeForce 2 and replace it with a Radeon.

Bart
            Bart

Comment

never heard of the kyro. where can i get some information about it?

Comment

Himself is right. Tile rendering is an excellent idea. But someone elso should be doing it apart from videologic/Imagination Tec, or whatever they are named this week.

Neon250 was their previous card (as the G200 was for Matrox) and their last driver for it is from sep 1999. How pathetic.

Comment

Matrox did have a tile based card once. Remember the m3D? It was Ok for its time (just after the Voodoo1), and was MUCH cheaper.

From memory it needed a big CPU to runnit well though (P133 or higher)

It was based on the NEC PowerVR1 chipset, which was the first version of the Kyro.

I had a friend who bought one of these (the m3D), and it was quite good. He bought it for $10 and got a $15 rebate. Wouldnt you love to be paid $5 to have a video card.

I have heard that the Kyro has issues with ladders in most games though. Because it does hidden surface removal, and most games put ladders over a background, the areas between the rungs is left black. Not sure if this will get fixed, but it sounds like a game patch would be needed rather than a driver update.

Ali

Comment

The Rock - thanks for the info. If I would be sure about the 2D quality of the Kyro (with was repeatedly reported as excellent, even THG =( says it`s better that nVidias) and would be sure about the future driver support, I`m really tending towards a Kyro II (STG 5000).
                    It will be presented at GDC/CeBit featuring T&L, DDR, etc. ! It really has impressing specs and the price will be rather reasonable.

Topha - you can have a look at the Kyro at Sharkeyextreme. The link is: http://www.sharkeyextreme.com/hardwa...kyro_in-depth/

But first lets see what Matrox is going to present ... :-)

MK

[This message has been edited by MK (edited 05 February 2001).]
                    <font size="1">
                    Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                    Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                    Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
                    Plustek Optic Pro U12B
                    HP Deskjet 959C
                    Plantronics LS1 Headset
                    </font>

Comment

MK,

I have my desktop at 1600x1200x16 @75Hz right now with a Radeon on a 17" monitor. If I could somehow take a screenshot of it I could show you what it's like. I have seen the bad 2D of my friend's MX, black text on white looks like it was printed on wool or something, there is a cross pattern throughout, could be the monitor or could be video card, no idea. It reminds me of the TNT 1 I had for some reason. All I know is that I don't get that here, I didn't get that with the V3 the Radeon replaced either.

Comment

Himself - I had the same experience with a TNT ! After 3 weeks I threw the crap out of my system and put the G200 back in, that was soon replaced by the G400.

Your informations are really useful ! This puts ATI Radeon in second position - after Matrox G[whatsoever]. :-))

MK

------------------
                        EPoX BX7+100, Celeron II 566@850 MHz (8.5x100), 128 MB PC133, G400 16MB SH (Bios 1.3-22,PD 6.10), on board Highpoint U-ATA100 RAID controller, IBM DPTA 20,0GB U-ATA100, Iomega ZIP100, SB PCI128, Mitsumi CR-4801TE, Pioneer 36x slot-in, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400, Plustek OpticPro 9636T, HP 930C, Win`98 SE

[This message has been edited by MK (edited 06 February 2001).]
                        <font size="1">
                        Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                        Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                        Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
                        Plustek Optic Pro U12B
                        HP Deskjet 959C
                        Plantronics LS1 Headset
                        </font>

Comment

Now THAT is FUNNY!!!

Rags

Comment

Rags - what do you mean ?

MK
                            <font size="1">
                            Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                            Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                            Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
                            Plustek Optic Pro U12B
                            HP Deskjet 959C
                            Plantronics LS1 Headset
                            </font>

Comment

LOL Matt look what have you started this time!

Himself makes himself out to be the all knowing god of computer hardware and yet he runs 1600x1200 (16 bit LOL) on a 17" monitor!
                              Now that is funny!
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X