This makes me mad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This makes me mad.

I just checked my Soltek SL-75KAV motherboard, it does not have the JP17 jumper for setting correct PCI/AGP divider at 133 MHz bus speed

What's the point of making a KT133A board if you do not equip the board with this jumper

Rant over, there is a bright side.

Fortunately the board reads the correct setting from the chip, so I'm safe with future 133 FSB chips.

Funny thing is that I've been running at 133 MHz FSB for more than a week without any problems, so I never suspected anything until I read about the jumper in the newest manual for the board. I'm quite surpriced that everything would run at those speeds

[This message has been edited by CHHAS (edited 07 February 2001).]
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Welcome to the jumperless non-OC'able mobo's, CHHAS. Or it must be through BIOS, until you donwload and install the new BIOS which has less reliable options

How come btw, that jumperless mobo's still have that BIOS/CMOS reset jumper on board?

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden

In my case, (intel 815eeaal) the purpose is to get a working copy of the bios onto the chip after a stuffed-up bios flash excercise or if a virus gobbled up a few bits.

------------------
      Lawrence
      Lawrence

Comment

I see I missed the winky after my comment

I know what that jumper is for, Lawrence
        I just wonder how they came up with the name jumperless mobo then...
        Besides, removing the CMOS battery and booting once without it, does the same Too much work, I guess.
        Which leaves us with an option in the BIOS to do all of this... Which I haven't found yet.

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

CHHAS
          Are you sure that the MB dosen't adjust the PCI / AGP divider automatically.
          ( Like The CUSL2-C from ASUS )
          Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
          incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Quite sure, it's stated in the manual
            "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Jorden

Thought you did

Jumperless refers to the fsb speed, cpu voltage, etc settings that is included in the current cpu designs. No need to use jumpers if the mobo can interrogate the cpu and determine what the "correct"? settings for the cpu are.

If your bios were to be designed such that there is no need for jumpers, one should surely not be alowed to update the bios via the normal flashing process - no way to get bios code onto bios memory chip if things go wrong (power failure/corrupt immage etc).

Suspect we will be stuck with at least one jumper if there is no "dual bios" technology properly implimented on a mobo.

------------------
              Lawrence
              Lawrence

Comment

My new Epox is pretty much jumperless. Multiplier, three voltages, memory settings, and FSB modifications are all through the BIOS. What's odd is that I have a jumper for choosing whether the CPU is 100/133 ish MHz. But it's a fantastic board.

------------------
                Epox 8KTA3 w/ Duron 850@7*133 with Alpha 6035, 256MB Crucial 7E, G400MAX,SBLive!-MP3,Pioneer 10x DVD, Plextor 12/10/32A, IBM 45GB 75gxp, and a Sony 420GS. Running RH7.0 (2.4.0-final), and Win98 (when I have to).
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                X