Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wich one is faster/better :Geforce 256 DDR32MB or GeforceMX 32MBSDRAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wich one is faster/better :Geforce 256 DDR32MB or GeforceMX 32MBSDRAM?

Wich one is faster?
    I have a GeforceMX 32MB but can get an Geforce 256 DDR32MB cheap so i would like some friendly advises.

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Have you seen the 'G800' benchmarks that have leaked in the Benchmarks section ??
    I'd hang on to the MX until it arrives
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

The 256DDR outbenches the MX in most cases, especially at 32bit color depth and/or higher resolutions (> 1024x768).

Comment

Err... those two cards are, IIRC, almost exactly the same. Whats a couple FPS when the MX is cheaper? Umm... is it still cheaper?

If they're the same price, then go for the other one, since it's technically faster... unless you want the new MX features.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

It's a Ledteak Winfast Geforce 256 32DDR.
          I can exhance the card('s) without cost.
          The MX is a Pixelwiev 32MB SDRAM.

I have no interest in TVout.

How is is there any difference in stability or such?

About the Benches:
          Either they are fraud or the G800 is 2-3 times faster than geforce gts2!
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

If they cost the same, go for the DDR. The DDR will be faster (sometimes significantly) than the MX in about every game at a resolution of 1024x768x32 and up. Newer games will most likely consume even more mem-bandwidth, thus giving the DDR an advantage over the heavily bandwidth-limited MX (think of FSAA,...).

To the "benches": they ARE flawed.
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

Hehehe, all benchmarks are flawed in some way, especially when the drivers are messing with them

but keep the MX, you will be throwing money away IMO to go and buy a 256.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 03 February 2001).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">To the "benches": they ARE flawed.

About the Benches:
                Either they are fraud or the G800 is 2-3 times faster than geforce gts2!</font>
                How so? And who said that those "benches" were form the G800??

Joel

Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Rags:
                  but keep the MX, you will be throwing money away IMO to go and buy a 256.
                  </font>
                  He said that he could exchange the cards without cost. And then he would be stupid not to take the faster 256DDR.
                  Just because something is newer (MX, ..cough.. G450 ..cough..) it is not necessarily better or faster.

The following pics showing the performance of the 256DDR against a MX are from the quite good 3DConcept RadeonSDR review (look at "http://www.3dconcept.ch/reviews/radeonsdr" for the whole thing):

In MBTR - which is likely an example of games to come with high bandwidth-needs - the MX is even below the 256SDR most times.

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 03 February 2001).]
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

Indiana,

I am not disputing the 256 outperforms in benchmarks. Read my post. Here is the only thing that was said that was even close to him saying he could switch without cost, which I apparently misunderstood:
                    <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">I can exhance the card('s) without cost.</font>
                    I see that he really meant that. So EXCUSE me.

Rags

Comment

Thanks for the info!
                      We managed to get a couple of boards very cheap at work.

Comment

Well...
                        I saw wrong when i glansed at the price,
                        i't was the SDR version that was the same price,
                        The DDR version was 40$ more expensive.

BUT i baught it anyway!

Becuse it has a "feature" that i could pay 80$ for!

It doesent shift the picture 20 pixels to the right in W2k compared to w98!!

Hard facts:

Standard test in 3dmark2K

Geforce MX : 4495

Geforce 256 : 5190 !!

And it generates less HEAT!

Comment

my GeForce 256SDR on a PIII 800 runs Q3 better than a GF2MX on a 1.2ghz athlon when at 1024x768x32bit. also, my G400 hauls ass on the 1.2ghz athlon.

i would go for a 256DDR if you don't mind spending the money. the GF2MX is a cheap, budget card. and you get what you pay for.
                          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

How many people have missed the point in this thread I originally thought you were comparing the GF2 DDR to an MX SDR! However, could you not swap them for a G450

Paul.
                            Meet Jasmine.
                            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I had a lovely Matrox G400 & an RRG!
                              I took out the G400 & RRG combo and placed it in my NLE machine!
                              I bought a Geforce MX 32SDR cheap for 84$.
                              It was faster but looked worse AND shifted the screen 20 pixels to the right when I switched between W2k and W98!
                              I got the chance to trade in the MX for a Gforce256 DDR for 40$ in-between!
                              I did it!
                              The Geforce 256 has a sharper picture than the MX and it doesn?t cause crackling and popping sounds when I play winamp and browsing the net.
                              And it (g256) is Faster!

I would never pay 500$ for a Geforce GTS 2 ! (it would have to drop belove 200$)

I would gladly pay 250$+ for a Matrox G800 ! (presuming that it at least is faster than the G1 DDR)

BTW:

How do you get Stencil buffering in Q3A?

Comment

Working...
                              X