Whistle for a new Windows XPerience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistle for a new Windows XPerience

I just saw a post on NT Compatible which tells of Microsoft's announcement regarding the new version of Windows, codenamed 'Whistler' and Office '10'. Well, they're gonna be called...Windows XP and Office XP...wonder if it really will be a new experience

You will need to restart your system to complete the kernel compilation

Or, more likely: You will need to restart your system to complete the trivial little installation that you've just done

Still unsure about that product activation though

Paul.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Requiring product activation will hurt people who like to reinstall their OS to fix problems or to make a fresh system. Microsoft is worried about money and control again.

Ghosting software may become more popular now.

Comment

From what I understand of the Product Activation 'feature', it shouldn't make any difference if you just want to format and reinstall.

I think the problems will only arise after a hardware upgrade.

I'm not a fan of the propsed system, but I'm sure MS has some way of getting a new activation key if you change your mobo and need to reinstall.

Imaging software is generally used by companies that have a large number of PC's and need to get them out to users with minimum fuss.

These organisations are likely to subscribe to the Microsoft Select agreement. I'm guessing that the Select version of Windows XP will not require Actvivation. None of the products that currently ship with Select require you to enter a Product ID number during installation and requiring that a company calls up to get 100 Activation keys is likely to cost Microsoft dearly. If this is the case, many organisations are likely to stick with Windows 2000 unless there are real benefits to upgrading.

As always, we're probably best off waiting to see what actually happens. More details are due to be released on the 13th, so lets see what they say then.
      Phils PC Mods - a rough guide

Comment

In my family, there are 5 computers running the same windows and office. do i have to buy all that stuff 5x in future??

Comment

From what I've read, each retail license lets one user install a copy of office/windows on a desktop and a laptop.

So in your case you'll be left purchasing 3 copies if you claim 2 of your desktops are laptops...

Comment

argh

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Bursar:
              From what I understand of the Product Activation 'feature', it shouldn't make any difference if you just want to format and reinstall.
              </font>
              The problem is that I actually mess with my system which includes different hardware and at the very least rearranging it.

I do not like the idea of Microsoft using this number. It is reminiscent of the PIII ID Number.

Comment

1. # will most likely only be used on Whistler Personal. The people who buy this version of Windows will not even card about reformatting.....heck they probably don't even know the meaning of the word.
                2. I have it on good authority that the # will not be used on SELECT versions of the software.

Problem solved.

Just don't use the crappy Personal version.
                C:\DOS
                C:\DOS\RUN
                \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

"Mouse movement detected, do you want to restart your computer now?"

Saw this while browsing the other day.

Comment

I hear they're going to continue their endeavors to further integrate the web and your operating system. As part of the whole user experience, people like to shop from their computers. MS recognizes this and would like to further integrate the ideas of shopping with your PC. Therefore, they have decided to offer the MS Credit Card Reader bundled with Windows XP, to better your eXPerience. All you have to do is install this handy gizmo and all your product activation worries will be set aside. Simply swipe your credit card each time you want to boot and your eXPerience will thrive. Thus every time you use your PC you can enjoy the eXPerience and shop, all at the same time.

b
                    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

my favorite (really happened some time ago):

no keyboard found

press F1 for help

mfg
                      wulfman
                      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                      "Lobsters?"
                      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Why is it that the code names for products are always so much better then the final marketing name. Windows XP, yuck.
                        Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

Well, it's one step up from Windows ME.. I still cringe every time I hear it.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Bursar:

I think the problems will only arise after a hardware upgrade.
                            </font>
                            Only? Ack! What better reason to upgrade Windows?

This is trouble for both reviewers and hobbiests. Frequent fresh install of Windows are really important on test beds.

Paul
                            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Look at it from a RPG perspective... if your computer crashes, you lose XP.

Comment

Working...
                              X