New Plextor 16/10/40A announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Plextor 16/10/40A announced

The PlexWriter 16/10/40A drive features 16X CD-recording, 10X CD-rewriting, and 40X max CD-playback, making it among the fastest CD-RW drives available on the market today. The 10X-rewrite speed leaps over conventional 4X CD-RW speeds, enabling the PlexWriter to rewrite an entire 650MB disc in approximately six minutes.
    more details here http://electic.com/webnews.shtml#980875904

I wonder how much more than the 121032A it will cost, the time difference for burning a full CD will be minimal, around a minute or so ...

Btw, does this mean that my x2 burner is outdated ?
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Aye, I noticed that drive in the latest PC Pro magazine here in the UK.
      Expect Plextor didn't want Yamaha to hold the crown all by themselves, so they decided to share it
      Can tell you people, 16X write & 10X Re-Write really is excellent, 6mins for a complete CD - sounds about right.
      It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
      Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

I'll pick up the SCSI version when it comes out.

Comment

It depends on how sensitive you are to audio quality (and how good your sound system is). I've never tried burning at anything but x2 (yes, I need a new burner), but I've noticed a difference in sound quality with different types of CDR's (the discs not the recorders).
          If the faster burning speed requires the error correction system on the player to do more work, then the sound quality will be affected.
          There must be a utility somewhere to test the quality of the writing, perhaps one could write a track to a disc, extract it and do a compare with the original ?
          "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by CHHAS:
            but I've noticed a difference in sound quality with different types of CDR's (the discs not the recorders).
            </font>
            Is there reasonable priced 16X compatible CDR media out on the market already? I still have about 800 8X CDR medias so there is no upgrading for my Plextor 8X for a while..

Comment

Run your 8x media at 16x!!
              It's only CD-RW's that have the 'mark' on the primary track that stops you writing faster than they are varified for.
              I burn at 12/16x on 8x media all the time with no problem.
              It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
              Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Working...
              X