Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slooooow boot??

OP sys is Win 98se...
    Normal first screen (CPU ID, RAM etc), then High Point BIOS Screen, then PCI list screen, then Win 98 splash screen. All quick so far; then another PCI list screen that stays for almost 70 seconds, then into desktop with only 30% of the icons up, placeholders for the rest, 20sec delay, then the rest of the icons come up correctly,
    then, an hourglass for about 10secs.

New HD and full clean install 6 months ago, it did not do this then. Just started last month.

So, first, why the long PCI list screen, and second, what is loading after the desktop?

------------------
    P3 650@761 on ABIT BE6 r2, 256M RAM, G400 32m DH oem, 6.10 drivers, Voodoo II in SLI, Aureal SQ2500, 30G Maxtor DMax 7200 ATA 66, 300W PS
    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Potentially a million things. Before the desktop hits, it's mostly networking stuff and drivers. After the desktop appears, it's all boot-time stuff.

Run "msconfig" (without the quotes) from the start->run menu and see what's loading at boot time (the tab all the way on the right).

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Try disabling USB in your motherboard's BIOS and see if the "hourglass" problem goes away.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
      X