Annoying WinMe problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying WinMe problems...

Right guys... your mission, should you choose to accept it (sorry, watching Mission Impossible on TV) is to sort out why I get the following errors in winMe.

The first one I get the first time I load WinDVD2000 or SiSoft Sandra. Press a key and it goes away and I don't see it again till I reboot.

1st prob:

The second problem I have is that every 5-10 minutes of running in WinMe, I get this message box:

It's really annoying!! Especially if I;m trying to benchmark or play a DVD.

I think the 2nd one is related to a third problem I have - I can't run the system info thing or other things that use the new advanced help system doobrey ( ). I get errors in some .DLL files.

So, any ideas anyone?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

That's spelt Doobie there Stevie, or did you just finish that off before posting? hehe
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Did you up-grade or install from scratch?
      Are you running Oracle client software?
      chuck
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Hi chuck,

I installed from scratch, and nope, no Oracle here...

Only got ver little installed (SiSoft Sandra, 3dmark2k, Q3, UT, WinDVD2000, CM3 and Nero5 or EasyCD4 as far as I can remember - I'm in win2k now)

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

Comment

I just did a jump from 98 to ME & back yesterday.

Found out Oracle client software won't install or run in ME. Oh well. :<

Win ME did seem pretty buggy for the 2 hours I was running it.
          chuck

PS ( People who think Microsoft is bad should be made to deal with Oracle Corp. for a while.)
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Hiya Steve,
            the second error looks like a call from the benchmark program, which is missing a Database (OLEDB32A.DLL). Either reinstall the benchmark program, or check your harddrives if this DLL is somewhere, and if it is bigger than 0 bytes.

For the first error, I would like to point you to Windows Troubles as they have a good database on what errors there are out there in Windowland and what to do against them.

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hi Jord,

I should have said that the OLE32DBA.DLL Error appears even when NOTHING is running - i.e. nothing apart from systray and explorer are in the task (ctrl-alt-del) list.

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

Comment

Aha! I think I might have found out why I get the BlueScreenOfDeath...

http://www.sandisk.com/support/drive.../help.html#why

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

Comment

I had to go "FIX" a friends system last weekend who upgraded to "ME".

He was getting numerous error screens and could only boot into safe mode. The Upgrade lost his modem, video card and adaptec drivers. So, it was just a matter of reloading drivers and his Adaptec Easy CD software to get it going again.

His system does boot and shutdown much faster than with WN98 but I didn't care for the "Looks" of WN ME
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I have two potential solutions:

1. Win98SE

2. Win2k

- Gurm

P.S. WinME is a plague from the nine planes of hell.

------------------
                    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Jord, the OLEx32x.dll's are a core part of the Windows OS. There is hardly a program out there these days that doesn't use some function of these dll's. In case you were wondering, OLE stands for Object Linked Embedding. Everything from images and hyperlinks in documents to various obscure database functions that get used all the time even though you don't know it. It's a lot more than just a DLL that gets installe dby some random program.

Now, honestly, what I think that particular error means is that the DLL simply isn't there, or it is corrupted, or it is out of date. As to why something keeps trying to load it, well, my best geuss would be this. Steve, are you using Active desktop? You know, that stupid ability to display web pages on your desktop, or any image format other than a bitmap. Sometimes you don't have to even be using it, it just has to be enabled. Active desktop makes extensive use of OLE, and if the DLL's are corrupted, then your going to get some strange errors whenever you try and display something on the desktop.

Having said all that, I'm going to agree with Gurm wholeheartedly. Use Win2000 or 98 and send "ME" back to the depths of hell from whence it came.

Ian
                      Primary System:
                      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                      Seccondary System:
                      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                      Tertiary system
                      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

True Ian, that the OLE thingies are part of Windows. But I don't have an OLEDB32A.DLL, only OLEDB32, OLEDB32R and OLEDB32X.DLL. My WinME is the English version, not updated in any way through WinUpdate.

Did you upgrade your WinME through WinUpdate, Steve? If not, which version of WinME do you have, which DirectX version and all of that.
                        Otherwise some other program updated that DLL file!

Jord.

P.S: If you don't know how to handle WinME, you didn't try hard enough. It's running rock-stable here. My only errors these days come from Mozilla, which are Moz errors
                        I've had more problems keeping Win98 in line than I have had keeping ME on my PC

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 02 February 2001).]
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

You're in a minority, Jord. Most of us that have tried WinMill have since tossed it. I moved on to W2k (with Win98 for gaming), and most of my buddies reinstalled 98 also.

As for the original problem..hehe...Adaptec strikes again!

Comment

YUP ! Adaptec strikes back.
                            As for win98 SE vs. WIN Me.....i've been a hadrcore user / defender of Win Me for a while now...until today....i'm now back with win98 SE....NICE ! NICE ! NICE! no more !@#$@%!$@%!@%@% MSGSERV32.DLL errors etc.
                            Otherwise win ME runs very smooth once system restore is uninstalled.However it's NOT as stable as Win 98 SE.
                            Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                            incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

PS !
                              PS !
                              -------------------------------------------
                              I WANNA B A MURCER NOT a mini murcer
                              -------------------------------------------
                              Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                              incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Working...