what should I do....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what should I do....

I am progressively using my computer more an d more for games...In fact i cannot remember a day when I used an application other than MS word.

I am thinking about changing from Win2K back to 9x (perhaps ME)......again!

I am starting to get performance problems in games and i think that Win9x would give me some time before the inevitable graphics card upgrade...

Is ME any good? I don't think I could go back to 98...

Any opinions would be appreciated, as always

I'd better give you my system specs.

------------------
    I am running Win2K Pro: SP1 on the following:
    • T'bird 1GHz on an Asus A7V
    • Coolermaster Copper Heat Pipe
    • 256 Mb PC100 RAM
    • IBM DJNA-372200 21Gb UDMA 66 Drive
    • 2 x IBM DNES-309170W SCSI Disk Drives
    • Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8584A
    • Plextor PX-W1210S SCSI CD-RW
    • Intel Pro/100+ Management Ethernet Adaptor
    • Iwill 2936 Ultra Wide SCSI controller
    • SB Live! 5.1
    • USB IntelliMouse Explorer Optical
    • Creative WebCam Go! Plus 8Mb
    • UM9800 V.90 USB Modem
    • Tornado 1000 case (with six 80mm fans!)
    • Cambridge SoundWorks DTT3500 5.1 speakers
    • Compaq 151 FS - on its way out
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Hi Patrick,

On my machine, I run Win2k and (sometimes I boot into) WinMe. Performance wise, I get no more than ~10% difference in 3dmark between the two OSes now.... Matrox' win2k drivers are pretty impressive.

Just some food for thought.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Thought #1: WINDOWS ME IS GARBAGE.

Thought #2: You won't really get that much of a performance gain unless you didn't really have the hardware to properly support Win2k in the first place.

Thought #3: WINDOWS ME SUCKS ASS.

Thought #4: Lousy soundcard drivers aside, Win2k is an excellent gaming platform. The only reason I would even consider running a 9x-based OS nowadays is if you were REALLY into DVD's on your computer or something like that.

Thought #5: WINDOWS ME IS THE SCOURGE OF THE EARTH, A PLAGUE VISITED UPON MANKIND BY THE EVIL HOSTS OF THE NINE PLANES OF HELL.

- Gurm

P.S. WinME sucks.

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm going to join the Anti-WinME movement. I tried it a couple of times on a couple of different systems, had problems, and returned to Windows 98se.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

WINME: Rock solid running over here. Maybe I don't tweak it as much as the guys above, maybe I don't run WinUpgrade every week

Thinking about that, I never ran WinUpgrade on ME. Whereas on Win98 I ran it about every damn week. The only thing I did with my ME system was a thorough reformat of my harddrive, after it convenient crashed on me, and not install printer drivers and webcam drivers.

Must be me

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jord,

It's not you (nice thought though), it's your computer. There are certain configurations where WinME runs rock-solid with no problems whatsoever.

However, those configurations are in the minority. Plus, the minute you do something stupid that OS screws you, whereas Win2k (and even Win98) are more forgiving.

This poor woman called me yesterday at the suggestion of my Grandmother. She had WinME on her machine. And it just wouldn't work with her scanner all of a sudden. Well, the company sent a tech guy out to visit her (nice of them) and he spent all day on it, finally leaving the machine in a worse state than it was originally in.

Their final solution? Reinstall WinME. Yeah, good solution to a messed up TWAIN driver.

But apparently it was a WinME problem.

I just don't like the "smack me, I'm an idiot" interface and system health crud - although the streamlined VXD core is certainly nice.

And the whole "no DOS" thing is a non-issue, since I haven't missed it since switching to NT/Win2k for my main machine anyway.

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I think Gurm has hit the nail on the head. I found that if something goes wrong with WinME, it's a lot more difficult to fix. Sometimes, it seems impossible without a complete reinstall.

In dumbing WinMe down, Microsoft appears to have made it retarded. Other than the fact that it boots a little faster, I see no advantage for the business or power user. From what I understand, Microsoft has recommended that business Windows 98 users not upgrade to WinME.

I've seen too many sophisticated users have serious problems with it. It seems fine for people who buy preassembled systems and treat the inside of their computers like the inside of their televisions. However, it seemed to me very inflexible and fussy.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 02 February 2001).]

Comment

Working...
              X