Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to damage memory running it out of spec?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to damage memory running it out of spec?

I just upgraded from a messy configuration of 3 64 Mb DIMM´s to a single generic 256 Mb DIMM PC133 (CAS3).

Now the good part of it is that it *seems* very stable at 137.3 Mhz - CAS2. I didn´t even try to run it higher because ASUS A7V bios set "system performance" to normal instead of optimal past 103 Mhz fsb, and memory performance takes a dive.

The performance increase is noticeable, but not something to be talked about (like a couple fps in quake and 50-100+ 3dmarks).

So I guess I´m a lucky guy to run generic PC133 CAS3 at 137Mhz CAS2, but can I damage it? Or it´s a matter of all or nothing, if it works, let it be?

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 31 January 2001).]

Just don't be surprised if it dies a sudden and horrible death, or if it runs along happily forever, either is possible, even likely
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Running memory beyond it's speed spec (any/all factors) will not damage the chip... increasing it's voltage will tho. Since this is not a feature that manufactures incorporate into MB's you don't have to worry.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe: Does this mean that running CAS3 memory at CAS2 can atmost cause the system to become unstable, and not decrease the life of the memory at all??
        Cheers
        Ovi

Comment

Speaking of increasing the voltage on memory, my Soltek SL-75KAV allows this, and increasing the voltage from 3.3 to 3.4 lets me run my old PC 100 mem at 143 HMz
          Maybe it won't last forever, but it's completely stabile.
          "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Greebe, now that you mention the fact, the A7V uses a default VIO of 3.56V. Could this be implied?

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 31 January 2001).]

Comment

Memory manufactures typically allow a +/- 10% voltage tolerance ie +2.97 - +3.63vdc

Ovi, yes
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

System instability from RAM isn't because it messes with voltage or anything that scary.

It's because if the memory is clocked to a setting it doesn't REALLY support, you'll get read and/or write errors. Just one of those errors, and your machine generates an error. A couple dozen and you crash.

Simple.

- Gurm

------------------
                Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks for the info Greebe
                  Cheers
                  Ovi

Comment

Working...
                  X