Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best resumable download manager?

Um, yea - I think the topic says it all

I've tried GoZilla and I've liked it mostly, but I've lost my old version and the new one is somewhat buggy (3.91). I'd also like to schedule when downloads stop - i.e. choosing to download a file in 2 hour increments, from 1am to 3am for example.

And if it can detect my ISP connect speed is too low, attempt to reconnect at a higher one then I'd be in love

Thanks,

Paul.

------------------
    The Pace3000 Network (under reconstruction)
    PaceCentral | Seti
    Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
    Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

GetRight is the best i tried. But have to download an older version(3.x.x). Newer version(4.x) force you to watch advertisements.

Does not support your 2nd condition. If you can find 1 that support this, let me know.

Regards.
    Primary desktop:
    Dell Dimension 4100|P3-733Mhz|512MB Crucial PC133 CL3|ATI Firegl 8700 64MB|SBLIVE|3Com 3C905c|Adaptec 2906|Quantum 40G|FUJITSU 1.3G MO|Iomega 16x10x40x|MGE 480VA UPS|Philips 200P3M|XPPro
    Secondary desktop:
    Generic P3-733Mhz|512MB Crucial PC133 CL3|Matrox G400 32MB DH|SigmaTel audio(build-in)|2 x 3Com 3C9980B|Adaptec 2940UW|Quantum 15G|MGE 500VA UPS|Sony G500|W2K

Comment

I don't use download managers because I use SDSL and I also don't have downloads fail. Downloads would rarely fail when I was using dial-up but I wouldn't be so confident now because my ISP has really degraded.

Use AT commands in your modem init string to control your dial-up speeds. You can set a minimum (and/or maximum) speed or the connection won't be established.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 28 January 2001).]
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Speaking of download managers:
        Does anyone know if there is a download manager that can pass a URL to another machine over ethernet to download on that machine? I have an old Compaq Proliant Server that I was going to use for file serving, print serving, and this if possible.

Comment

Just do it from the console. Have a window open, and when you see something you want, type wget or ncftpget, and have the machine go at it.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Take a look at FlashGet, it does the same things as Gozilla but with the added benefit of splitting the file into segments, then downloading each segment from the fastest site(s).
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I really like Reget: www.reget.com/en

It's free, extremely powerful, and works very well. I've used it for a year without a problem.

John

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys and I'll put those further up my rankings

But what I do need is being able to choose the download to disconnect at certain times. If a certain download goes slow it might run over until morning, preventing wake up calls from being delivered!

Xortam, thanks for that tip, never thought of that!

Paul.
                Meet Jasmine.
                flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

<TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I also recommend FlashGet, much faster than other download managers. Mass Downloader is also fast but buggy. GetRight is the one with the most options. Both FlashGet and GetRight have those timing capabilities you require.

Comment

Actually, GoZilla is up to version 3.92 which seems to have fixed the bugs in 3 and 3.91

Comment

I use GetRight. The newer versions, 4.3, are really great. I have an actual legitimately purchased key (believe it or not) for GetRight so I don't haft to watch no stinking ads. I mainly use GetRight when I want to load up a download list (like a 15 part anime where I can only download 2 parts at a time). Or when I'm pulling big files I like to segment the download. WOrks very well.

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Wombat:
                          Just do it from the console. Have a window open, and when you see something you want, type wget or ncftpget, and have the machine go at it. </font>
                          I am unsure as to what you mean by these commands. Are they for a program or an OS? The machines I have at home and the ones I have access to at work do not know these commands.

Comment

Working...
                          X