Holy smokes! Dual Athlon MOBO!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy smokes! Dual Athlon MOBO!!

It's about time, though it ain't out yet.

http://www.amdmb.com/#News-1243

Did you notice that the heatsink in the second picture looks like a Matrox one? I wonder if the intergrated graphics is a G450 or G800.

Fusion maybe?

Comment

Too bad it will cost 500$.... .

The main thing that makes it cost so much is that because the athlon uses the EV-6 point to point bus,the 760 northbridge has roughly 900 pins(twice as many as current chipsets) and the board itself needs to use 8 layers(standard boards use roughly 6 layers).

note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
      P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

hehe.... as if a heatsink tells anything... besides, don't hold your breath for fusion...

Comment

Another thing....AMDs are power hungry in a single CPU environment: imagine how bad things are gonna be in a duallie? AMD wants 100 watts available on the 3.3 volt tap of a power supply: does this mean that now we are going to need a power supply capable of supplying 200 Watts to the 3.3 Volt tap? 60 Amperes at 3.3 Volts? I hope not. Hell, we'd need heavier gauge wire on the power supply for a monster like that!

Heat: let's talk about HEAT! AMDs are already a silicon hotpoint appliance...let's put two in the same case; and don't forget to block off the heater vents in your den: the AMD Duallie will keep the whole room nice and toasty.

I've heard that the Calfornia legislature has banned AMD Duallies in California due to the power shortage.

;-)

[This message has been edited by MultimediaMan (edited 27 January 2001).]
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I still want one
            System 1:
            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
            Epox 8K7A
            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
            SBLIVE 5.1
            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
            3Com Hardware Modem
            Teac 20/10/40 burner
            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

The Mainboard has 2 ATX PS Conectors!!
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Can you imagine the performance that a dual 1.5 ghz athlon would be like.... .

Holy crap... .

You wouldn't cpu limited anytime soon,that's for sure.

I guess i'll just have to make do with my dual p3 ghz.... .
                note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

There are some interesting new cards coming for those 64 bit PCI slots. Should be interesting....

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 28 January 2001).]

Comment

Where does it have two ATX power connectors?

There is a 5V secondary input connector (close the the KBD/Mouse connections), but not a second ATX connection.

Note the position of the ATX connector: if you run a Geforce, you just might melt it!

It looks like a good oard, let's just hope the chipset is stable.

I have a couple of 64 Bit PCI NICs: This would be the hot (pun intended) ticket for a Gigabit Ethernet server.

I'm still concerned with power consumption and heat removal issues.

Time will tell.

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Hm...
                      It seems that i somehove mixed the pictures togheder and...
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                      X