Athlon "C": Half Dressed Up with No Place to Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon "C": Half Dressed Up with No Place to Go

I've been trying to get my hands on parts, so I can take a look at some of the new Athlon platforms with 133 MHz support. I got myself a nice stick of PC2100 RAM, Abit's and Asus's new KT-133A motherboards, a nice Taisol heatsink, etc.

Now, unfortunately, I don't have an AMD 760 motherboard to stick my DDR SDRAM into. Ideally, I would like to review the new Asus AMD 760 board, but they are in very short supply and further delayed by the Chinese New Year. I could probably get my hands on one relatively quickly if I wanted to pay $250-300US for it, but that seems excessive. I'm sure the board will be ~$70.00 cheaper in a couple of weeks or at least when demand wanes a bit.

To make matters worse, I now have two motherboards which support the new 133 MHz Athlon "C", but no Athlon "C". Bummer. I could get a 100 MHz Athlon, of course, but I'd really like to see and report on what these boards can do with a "proper" CPU. Also, when I eventually get my hands on an Asus K7M266, I don't want to be handcuffed to a 100 MHz memory bus.

If anyone sees anything, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

On the plus side, the PC2100 RAM looks really cool in Mushkin's inflatable packaging.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

There's rumor, and only rumor, that AMD will release/ship the C's on Friday.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I feel...and envy...your pain. Anxious to see what you get out of this rig.

Until you obtain parts, suggest putting a neon light behind the puffy bag with the memory...like a shrine.
      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

Lynn computer,which usually has the inside track of release dates,etc. says mid-late Febuary.
        http://www.lynncomp.com/news.htm
        Lynn is a great place to buy AMD cpus.
        The motherboards will be appearing,in quantity, at about the same time.

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 28 January 2001).]

Comment

Working...
        X