Plextor or Plextor-inside ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plextor or Plextor-inside ?

I'm considering buying a new CD burner, a Memorex version of the Plextor 121032A, is there any good reason to get the Plextor version which is 40% more expensive ?
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

OEM versions are rarely as good as the original. I haven't looked at this particular model.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I wasn't aware that Plextor did OEM sales. Anyway, find out if this Memorex drive is any different from a Plextor. Software? Firmware?
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Plextor has, for a long time, done OEM sales. I have seen some Plextor drives end up as Iomegas, IO Magics, Memorex, and TDK. You just have to watch to get them. They work and behave the same, just come with a diff subsys id, and have different software.

Rags

Comment

When I say "OEM versions are rarely as good as the original" I'm making a sweeping generalization about anyone's OEM HW and SW. OEM HW may get marginal parts after the manufacturer skims off the best parts. OEM versions (HW and SW) don't always contain the latest mods. An OEM vendor may modify the manufacturer's product or sell it as is. The OEM vendor usually will get a product version after the manufacturer has already started selling the original. If an OEM vendor modifies the product, they might not accept every version coming from the manufacturer due to the time and expense in reimplementing their mods to the latest version. That said, its possible for an OEM version at a given point in time to perform and maintain as well as the original ... just don't know about this particular case.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Go ask over at CloneClinic (address at end of message) and make sure that you can hack this drive to have a genuine Plextor BIOS. If you can, GET IT. Very simple. The folks at CloneClinic ought to be able to tell you if it's hackable. Oh, and make sure it has burn-proof, all Plextor 12x10 and up should.

http://welcome.to/cloneclinic

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
            X