KT7A RAID Setup Goes Well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KT7A RAID Setup Goes Well

Got my KT7A RAID set up today. Read alot of horror stories about them not running with 4 PCI cards and/or SCSI cards. Happy to report all is well here. Went from KT7 non-RAID board so I didn't reload everything. Just booted with my Maxtor IDE drive, reloaded 4 in 1 drivers and RAID drivers. Then I set up RAID array and used Drive Image to copy from the Maxtor and life was good.

Had to disable 2940U2W SCSI BIOS for it to boot off floppy or RAID. Set to "Disable-Scan Bus" so it will still post devices. Windows recognizes all the SCSI drives and no freeze ups when accessing SCSI drives.

SB Live sharing with G400MAX to keep the Highpoint Controller on seperate IRQ. MAX has gotten along with the SB Live with two previous MB's, now it's three. No difference in benchmarks either way. Will try and move things around once I try some different block size settings.

Hollywood + and NIC card share IRQ, SCSI card and USB share IRQ.

------------------
    ABIT KT7A, RAID 0 * 900MHz Athlon T'bird * 256MB Crucial 7E PC/133 RAM * Two 30GB IBM 75GXP * Two Cheetah LVD's * Barracuda UW * DiamondMAX IDE * Plextor Ultraplex 40max/Plexwriter 12/4/32 * Hitachi IDE DVD * 2940U2W * SB Live * 3Com 905B-TX NIC * 3Com Courier V. Ext. * Hollywood + * Win 98SE, Win 2000 *

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 20 January 2001).]
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

I have the ABIT HTO ROD DMA/100 RAID controller card, and I was about to make a setup similiar to yours.
    I created RAID0 (array) at my similiar 20GB IBM HDD's and Windows found one 40GB HDD, just as it's supposed to work. The problem started when I tried to format the harddisk (to FAT32), Partition magic froze at 1 or 2% and fdisk froze at 8%.

How should I set up the Array? tried with 32k blocksize and 4k. Nothing worked. Is it the fat32 that isn't accepted or that I format from windows, do I have the wrong block size, or is it that I have the windows HDD attached as slave to the controller card (1st master->20GB IBM slave->10GB western, 2nd master->20GB IBM)

I made the array at the IBM drives..

I'd really like to run RAID0 since I've got two similiar HDD's...

Any suggestions?
    My system:
    | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
    homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Sorry, should have mentioned this sooner.

You don't actually have to disable the SCSI BIOS - often just setting it to initialize second is enough to do the trick. However, you DO have to remember not to try to boot with it.

For example, in my machine...

I have Promise RAID. If I allow the 29160 (Adaptec) to initialize first, the RAID gets very unhappy (works but won't boot). If I set the 29160 to initialize second however, I'm fine - UNLESS I want to boot from it. If I put in a boot CD without switching the order, the machine locks up.

I hate it when you have multiple devices that demand the same BIOS space. Grr...

I apologize for not mentioning this in the other topic.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">You don't actually have to disable the SCSI BIOS - often just setting it to initialize second is enough to do the trick. However, you DO have to remember not to try to boot with it.</font>
        Howdy Gurm,

How do you get the SCSI adapter to initialize second? Unable to find an option in the 2940U2W's 2.57.2 BIOS to do it, less I am missing it. Or is it a choice in the 29160 BIOS only?

I am not concerned about booting from SCSI anymore as ATA100 IDE has surpassed my old SCSI drives performance and the Ultra160 stuff cost's more than I want to spend. Kept one SCSI drive for storage, and that may go too...but the CD ROM drives stay.

lindberg,

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">I have the ABIT HTO ROD DMA/100 RAID controller card, and I was about to make a setup similiar to yours.
        I created RAID0 (array) at my similiar 20GB IBM HDD's and Windows found one 40GB HDD, just as it's supposed to work. The problem started when I tried to format the harddisk (to FAT32), Partition magic froze at 1 or 2% and fdisk froze at 8%.</font>
        I set up my RAID with a 16K block size and formatted with the C: /z:32 command and it went smoothly. Never tried Partition magic on the RAID disks yet, and I did all the fdisk from a Win98 boot disk.

RAID is still new to me do try the forums here http://www.icrontic.com/
        for answers if your not successful here.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 26 January 2001).]
        MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
        Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
        512MB regular Crucial PC2100
        Matrox P
        X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
        LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
        X