AGP ?x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP ?x

I am thinking about getting a new 3d card (propably Radeon), but my mobo only supports 2x agp. does this affect the performance of the card a lot?

asus k7m with athlon 750
    128 Ram

No!
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Let me second that...

No!

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

no performance decrease or no radeon?

Comment

AGP speed isn't that important right now because most games aren't using larger textures which require off-board RAM.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Theoretically speaking , since the Radeon is a T&L card, the speed of agp transfers world be important to pass all the geometry information through the bus, and not only textures.

But don´t worry, no memory used today except DDR SDRAM and RDRAM has enough bandwidth to take advantage of AGP4x. Honest. If you´re using PC100 SDRAM even AGP2x (if really used) doesn´t work to its fullest, so...

Comment

True, memory bandwidth of PC100 SDRAM does throttle AGP performance but it does allow applications to run which require geometry data which exceeds the on-board RAM. The point is, currently there aren't many apps that exploit AGP. Someday we may see AGP used far more aggressively, even beyond geometry transfers.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yes that´s my point, and considering that AGP4X bandwidth is the same as the peak PC133 bandwidth (about 1Gb/sec) one wonders after all memory bandwidth required by cpu, expansion cards, DMA drives, is used, how much is left for AGP transfers.

That why I can´t avoid a good laugh when someone complains about not getting AGP4x...

Comment

AGP is a nice little luxury for getting data to the video card, it's nothing really important. Look at it like hard drive speed when it comes to games, if you are playing a game and it is accessing the hard drive constantly you are not having fun. It's the same with AGP, once you are using textures from memory at 1/5th the local video card ram speed you are screwed anyway so don't worry about it. Don't worry about it in general because developers only create software for the LCD anyway. It's great for texture tests in 3DMark2K, that's about it.

Comment

Working...
                  X