Things you don't have to do with a Matrox card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you don't have to do with a Matrox card

I just stumbled across this thread at Anandtech: http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...hreadid=321538

I can't believe anyone would use a soldering iron on a $500 card, brave people those NVIDIA owners
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Nvidia makes chipsets. Not cards. Complain to manufacturer of card for crappy 2D. Also not all Nvidia cards have crappy 2D.
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Yea, but all those cards are based on a nVidia reference board.

Joel
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

and that's why I only buy from "card makers" not "chip makers", it's the easy way out for them to not take the blame for crappy cards
        System 1:
        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
        Epox 8K7A
        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
        SBLIVE 5.1
        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
        3Com Hardware Modem
        Teac 20/10/40 burner
        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Nvidia sucks big fat hairy....PEACHES!!!

Why anybody would spend $500 on a video card that just goes faster is beyond me.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Hmm, I admit the gts ultra isn't worth it at $377 considering the software out there, at least not for games, but the GTS is $161 on pricewatch, so price isn't exactly a huge deal if you just want a bit of an upgrade. If people here can't figure out what to do with extra speed over a G400, I sure can, not that I'd buy an NVIDIA card.

There are valid reasons for not choosing NVIDIA, lack of faith in driver stability, not liking to support the company's goals of world domination, their general lack of anything resembling a sense of fair play, willingness to spin the truth at 5500rpm, development direction of speed at the expense of quality, etc. But on a price standpoint it's not exactly breaking the bank.

I agree with Durango personally, I think the buck gets passed too much with a chip maker, but that's just us, for other people the drivers might be perfectly acceptable for what they do. I don't agree that TCL is completely useless, perhaps it is for current games, but there are other bits of software out there beside games.

2D is down to individual cards when you have so many players, I wouldn't paint them all with the one brush. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with soldering the card to improve 2D, I'm done more drastic things to my computers over the years. At least there is a solution for the issue where it exists. I like the fact that there is a large user community where things like this are tried and shared with others. That's one thing that was great about 3dfx, you had third party driver compilations and you had V3 3000 bioses available to try on your V3 2000, people tried all the tweaks and options in the drivers and shared what they found out. Of course it helped that 3dfx actually added tweakable options to the drivers in the first place and tweaked the drivers in general.

PS. I think the term "nvidiot" should be retired, it says more about the people who use it than the people attributed. That goes for any other cutesy names that generalise people as a class instead of cursing them individually.

Comment

I think nVidiot is a very clearly defined word. To see it, just look at posts from DosFreak, Isochar, and the such. If you want to see it at other forums, just goto Arse's forums, and look for posts by morello. These people are very clearly nVidiots.

Rags

Comment

If you want to sink to that level, there are similar traits among Matrox users that could be used for name calling as well. Off the top of my head, "Matroxen", I'm sure the professional trolls can do much better. Like I said, it just says more about the people who do it.

Comment

Hey, that's fine. If I go into another forum telling people they are off their rockers for choosing to use such and such card, and to speculate on their upcoming cards, then I well deserve to be called any names they wish. But you won't see me doing this.

I think anyone who judges anyone by what video card they use alone is more than a little off.

Rags

Comment

I beg to differ Rags, you see - buying Matrox shows that you appreciate quality

So if I was starting a company full of quality IT pros, I'd start with Matrox owners

Paul.
                    Meet Jasmine.
                    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

What you are refering to are trolls, you can call an individual a troll all you like, but using nVidiot is saying this paticular person and everyone who owns that card are idiots. Bit of a difference.

Comment

Himself,

Don't look so much into it.

Look at it this way:

All trolls are posters to forums. According to your logic, that would mean that if I call someone a troll, then I am saying that all posters are trolls.

Everyone who speeds is a driver. According to your logic, if I call someone a speeder, I am saying that all drivers are lawbreakers.

You see what I am getting at? I have and use an nVidia based card, and I don't consider myself an nVidiot. But you know as well as I do there are nVidiots, there are 3dfx zealots, Mac freaks, Matrox fanatics, etc. There are just those people who think that the end-all be-all is what they have, and no one will change their minds. They don't even have to be trolls to show it, either.

Anyhow, I could care less what video card one uses. It makes no difference to me, but don't judge me by which card I use.

Rags

Comment

Whenever I see someone use that term, that's what I think of, someone is saying that person is an idiot for owning that card, if you get them saying it back well don't be surprised. I think the same of other group related terms like that, I just don't see the need, they are just inflamatory and encourage trolls to respond in kind. Call them son's of bitches, bastards, jerks, ****oles, idiots, flatulating donkey's, whatever you like, I don't care, I think avoiding phrases like dumb blonde, (and you know you can fill it in from there with much worse), is just better policy.

Comment

Working...
                          X