Getting rid of that !@#$% _Restore folder in winme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of that !@#$% _Restore folder in winme

I would like to get rid of that glorified "norton protected recycle bin" type feature that fills your hard drive even as you move files off it. I already went into the troubleshooting tab and checked disable system restore to no avail. Helllllp
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

You could just not install Norton Utilities

Or, if you go into the properties of the recycle bin. You will notice a tab that says "Norton Protection". Just uncheck Enable Protection and Empty the protected files.

Also check the Recycle Bin tab. There you will be able to choose what pops up when double-clicking on the bin.

Comment

You mean WinME's built in 'System Restore / PC Health' feature, don't you?
      Have a look at this site:
      http://members.aol.com/axcel216/me1.htm#UPH
      it tells you how to get rid of it, amongst other things.

Comment

My bad, should have read into the question more. I saw Norton Protected Recycled Bin and knew that everyone wants that removed

Comment

What I did (before reading your replies), was boot beos, mount the winMe partition, delete the _restore folder, reboot into Me and delete the recycled folder (in desperation, was going to format the drive if it didn't work, or if it fuXx0r3d winMe).
          It worked, but I still have those annoying unmovable fragmented files all over my HD.
          Nice link, will reinstall to avoid installing system restore in the first place. I hate stuff that fills up my hard disk with rubbish.

[This message has been edited by DentyCracker (edited 18 January 2001).]
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Hope it works for you, I use it and it seems OK, tho' it screws up windows help a bit (but we don't use that, do we?)
            The only drawback is that the contents of that _RESTORE folder is (I think) for the system file protection, and without it you're naked. However if you can rip the files 'SFC.EXE' and 'SFCDLL.DLL' from Windows 98, you can do it the old fashioned manual way (which I reckon is much better).

Comment

Working...
            X