Got my SL-75KAV, Duron 650 and GlobalWin FOS-32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my SL-75KAV, Duron 650 and GlobalWin FOS-32

Well, it's all put together and running now.

Had to flash the BIOS to get the Red Storm overclocking stuff, but that went flawlessly (phew ).

A few things about this MB that I wasn't aware off when I bought it:
    There's no multiplier or FSB settings in the BIOS
    You have to set the dipswitches on the board for that. You can however add 0-28 MHz to the FSB from the BIOS, so once you found the multiplier you want you can still tweak a bit from the BIOS.
    I had the impression that the memory could run at FSB, FSB+33 or FSB-33 MHz, but only the two first options are available (really disliking my PC100 memory now).

Installing a GlobalWin FOS-32 on this board is, the say the least, challenging, you have to have slim and strong hands to hook the fastening thingy, there's a lot af capacitors right next to the socket (around 1 cm from it). I really wish that I'd bought some paste, I'll have to remove and reattach it as soon as I get the paste.

Once everything was well installed, I gave the Red Storm a whirl, it decided that 110 MHz was the FSB for me and I booted a 715 MHz without any problems, had I had better memory I might be able to avoid the pencil scribbling on the chip, but I think I'll save the money and use a bit of lead.

Hopefully I'll get the paste tomorrow and the real overclocking can begin
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Have you tried the memory set to 133?
    You may want to try that setting +33 set to cas3,and see if it will run at that speed.
    The memory speed is seperate from the fsb,however if you have the fsb set higher than 100mhz the memory will not run at the higher speed.
    What happens is the +33 is tagged on to the set fsb,hence 143 memory speed(that is if you have the fsb set to 110mhz.
    The Tbird and Durons do not overclock that well using the fsb.
    If multipliers are available on this board,that's the best way to go.
    Close the L1 bridges on the cpu and set the multipliers to a higher setting.
    Most of the Heatsinks for these cpus have very tough clips.
    By placing the clip on the end of the socket opposite the socket id(plastic top piece)and using a small screwdriver,(there should be part of the clip that it can latch on to)
    and holding the heatsink straight down push the clip down to engage.
    It's adviseable to remove the memory prior to reinstalling the heatsink,if the tool slips or your hand exerts force on the memory stick,well...

Comment

Thanks for the advice Alfie.

I have tried setting the memory to 133 Mhz, but to no avail.
      However I am running at 100 MHz CAS2 with 4-way interleave, so I'm going to raise the multiplier today, and see how high I can get it.

I'm going to try that trick with the screwdriver, my fingers are quite battered from yesterday
      "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Working...
      X