Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

you know which problems are the most annoying? network ones. and I got one. help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you know which problems are the most annoying? network ones. and I got one. help?

-sigh-
    well, here's the deal:
    got two computers connected in a basic network config.
    one is a Windows 2000 computer, the other a Windows 98 computer. both computers use Realtech base PCI NIC's, both connected as RJ45. - direct cable between two computers.
    things worked out well as a network until today, that suddenly the network stoped working. when I open the network folder, none of the computers can see each other. IE in win98 - it only shows itself, and in win2000 - again, only shows itself.
    there is no hardware problem, becuase the minute I switch to NetBui as the connection protocol, all works well as a network. but I loose my internet connection on the win2000 machine for some reason. so that's a no no.
    so I guess the problem must be somewhere in the TCP/IP configuration for the NIC in windows 98 or 2000. can you do me a favour? can you tell me from each tab in the TCP/IP Settings for the NIC on windows 98, what setting it should be? what IP setting to choose - Automatic, or to define my own? what gateway? DNS? WINS? etc... and the same for windows 2000...
    this is pretty much driving me crazy, as I have no idea why this happens. NetBui - works as LAN but no DUN.

Try to help.
    please.

Thakn you.
    "Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interrupt-driven..."
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Worstation Specs:
    Asus P3B-F w/Celeron@680mhz
    160mb PC100 7ns RAM.
    Matrox G400 142/190Mhz.
    IBM 75GXP 7200RPM 15Gb.
    Seagate U8 4.1gb Hdd,
    SBlaster Live! Digital.
    17" Mag InnoVision 770Ti TrinitronFR Monitor @1152X864
    Logitech MouseMan Wheel USB (on Everglide Giganta SE)
    Focus 127keys MM Keyboard.
    HP SCSI Cd-Rw 7200Si
    AOpen X48 CD ROM.
    AOpen 1040Pro Slot DVD
    3Com NIc @ Tevel/3Com Cable Modem
    Modded case, the "banshee". 6 fans.
    3Com Palm IIIx + GoType + AxxPAC

Try World of Windows Networking.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Sounds like dicky network cards to me. I had nice fun with realtek cards and disappearing network connections print outs and hanging.
      This only appeared above 806 mhz.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

NetBeui doesn't work as DUN because it is a non-routable protocol.

I would assign my own IP addresses, unless you want to deal with DHCP, which seems a little overboard with 2 computers.

Gateway is only needed if you are using one of the computers as a "Gateway" to the internet. Set the Gateway setting to the IP address of the "Gateway" machine.

DNS is needed for DUN. Put in the the IP address that your ISP gave you. If you are not using DUN, you don't need anything here.

WINS is for name resolution among your own network. You really don't need it for 2 computers.

good luck.

amish
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Working...
        X