• A few upgrade questions

This is my current system:

Abit BH6 v1.0x with newest BIOS
    Katmai 500
    192 Mb PC100 ram
    Maxtor DM40+ 30 GB HDD
    Matrox G400

I'm considering the following options:

A) Buying a Coppermine 800E slot 1 and keeping the rest, hopefully OC'ing to 992 MHz or at least 896.

B) Buying a Celeron II 600, a slot 1 adapter and a new GlobalWin cooler, hopefully reaching 900+ MHz.

C) Buying a new case (with AMD approved PSU), new MB and a Duron/Tbird.

As option A will cost me around 2300 dkr ($330), B 1300 dkr ($185) and C 4000 dkr ($570), I am highly partial to option A or B, and I think I have a higher probability of the Coppermine reaching 1GHz than the Celermine reaching 900 MHz, but I'd like some input ...

[This message has been edited by CHHAS (edited 14 January 2001).]
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

I think migrating to AMD with that mobo wouldn't be cost effective... I would first check if your mobo revision can supply the right amps/voltage to the Coppermine 800, and if so, I would go for that one. If not, check if it supports the Celeron, since that one requires a lot less amps

Comment

Id think that a Duron Rig would give you the Best berformence/Price.

I made a uppgarde from an P3 550 to a P3 800 and i wish i had waited because i could have bought 2 sets of cpu's and Mainboards for the price i gave for only the P3 Cpu and it diden't make the computer that much faster.

If you aim for a Duon 600 and the OC it you should be able to get your hands on a Mainboard, cpu & case for about 350$ (2450 dkr aprox supposed 1$=7dkr)

Ok i give!

The A or B Uppgrade path will be easier and cheaper.

[This message has been edited by Technoid (edited 14 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Technoid (edited 14 January 2001).]
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

If his mobo supports Coppermine up to 933, it would still be much _cheaper_ to get a Coppermine 700 and get an _almost_ guaranteed overclock to 933Mhz at default voltage! , not to mention it would be MUCH faster than a overclocked Duron 600, and would also save you from any possible VIA chipset hassles

oh... I also see he has PC100 RAM... that _could_ cause some problems when running at 133MHz... the G400 alsmost always run at 89Mhz AGP bus, and when in doubt, you can always check it by trying to run at 100Mhz 1/1 AGP (or downclock to 83 or something with 1/1 AGP)

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 14 January 2001).]

Comment

Yes, that was why I'm considering a Coppermine 800 -> 992, the bus speed would be 124 MHz, which I know my memory and other peripherals can handle.

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Well, I just ordered a Duron 650, a Soltek SL-75KAV and a GlobalWin FOS-32 cooler.

Now I'm just hoping that the chip will do the GigaHertz Boogie (tm)

Comment

This is my personal opinion.

I think we should refer to "VIA hassles" or "VIA-related problems" as "new motherboard driver hassles." Yes, the BX chipset works extremely well with Microsoft's drivers, but there is no shortage of Intel-based problems with their new boards either.

For the rest of my life, I might judge all new chipsets against the i440BX. I no longer think, however, that VIA can be singled out for coming up short when pitted against it.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 16 January 2001).]

Comment

Working...
              X