Too Hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Hot?

I have just installed a Duron 750 on a Gigabyte GA-71XE4 mobo with a AKASA AQUA 711 CPU fan.

Its recording a CPU temp of 72C (161F) and a system temperature of 32C (89F) whether the case is open or not.

I guess this is a bit hot but I just want it confirming - also any idea what it should be? and what temperatures are dangerous?

Also any idea why it may be so high? Is it just a poor heatsink/fan?

Many Thanks,

Uppity

Uppity

Too Hot Too Hot we'll have bacon and egg sandwiches on that.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Straight edge razor
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Looks can be deceiving....

Obtain some good quality thermal paste, and remove your heat sink. One look will tell you how it was seating. The pad will usually be squished out the sides, around edge of CPU. Maybe thin uneven layer remains where it contacted CPU.

Remove very carefully, avoid sharp metal objects like scrapers on CPU. Wood toothpick has worked for me. Use alcohol, lint free cloths, etc. Don't use fingers to apply or touch cleaned areas.
        Careful of static discharge...

Here is some instruction http://highspeedpc.com//Products/vIndex.htm?cat8.htm

First time I used too much and saw no gain in temp, had to clean and redo. Arctic Silver is messy to clean off too. Second time used paper thin layer.

Upon startup, watch your CPU temp in BIOS. If it doesn't skyrocket, boot up and monitor it in op system. If you screwed up, temp will climb very fast.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 15 January 2001).]
        MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
        Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
        512MB regular Crucial PC2100
        Matrox P
        X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
        LianLiPC70

Comment

Thanks, SCompRacer.

What temperature should I see if I get it right? about 40-45C?

Also is my overall system temp OK at 31C or will I need to do some work on that too. I know I have some ribbon cables which may be obstructing airflow which I can tidy up but what temps should I expect to see?

Uppity
          Uppity

Comment

Your system temps are fine
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Like Greebe says, your fine.

CPU temp depends alot on your inside case temp, air flow through the case, how much do the cables obstruct airflow, etc. 45C would be great under load, depends on how good your cooler is too.

The big thing now is rounding your cables, though folding flat works fine too. Just do the best you can to get them out of the way and see what you get.

You can always spend more money later....
              MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
              Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
              512MB regular Crucial PC2100
              Matrox P
              X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
              LianLiPC70

Comment

On a big honker HS and fans!

Comment

It sounds like your heatsink is on crooked.
                  There must be a gap there somehow.
                  Remove the heatsink put on new thermal goop
                  and make sure that the heatsink sits flat on
                  the processor when you reinstall it.
                  chuck
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Thanks,

It looks straight but I'll try adding some grease.

Will I need to remove the thermal square which was already on the heatsink? If so, what is the best way to do it? Also will I need to worry about any thermal goop left on the CPU die before I add the thermal goop ?

Uppity
                    Uppity

Comment

Well, the problem is sorted now.

I'm getting a steady 35C on the CPU temp - even after I've been installing software + stuff for about 3 hours. (I havn't tried anything demanding on the CPU yet)

It turns out that the thermal stuff on the bottom of the heatsink had a plastic cover. So I took the plastic cover off and fitted it. I removet the HS last night to have a look and found that there was a second plastic cover which was still on - D'oh!

Anyway I took it off and re-fitted the HS - it all seems fine now.

I then had a bit of trouble installing my Matrox drivers though. It seems that the drivers which came on the CD (4.22?) weren't compatable with something in my system - Mobo or CPU ? and caused windows to fail to load with a protection error. But the latest drivers seem to be fine.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Uppity
                      Uppity

Comment

Working...
                      X