RAID Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID Advice Please

Getting real close to ordering a KT7A RAID board to replace my aging three week old KT7.

Plan on getting two 30GB IBM 75GXP's and transfer the rest of my stuff into it. SCSI hard drives will go but the SCSI CD ROM drives will stay.

Any special prep of hard drives needed, or just format with FAT 32 and load an operating system and go?

------------------
    ABIT KT7 non-RAID * 900MHz Athlon T'bird * 256MB Crucial 7E PC/133 RAM * Two Cheetah LVD's * Barracuda UW * DiamondMAX IDE * Plextor Ultraplex 40max/Plexwriter 12/4/32 * Hitachi IDE DVD * 2940U2W * SB Live * 3Com 905B-TX NIC * 3Com Courier V. Ext. * Hollywood + * Win 98SE, Win 2000 *
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

There aren't much to do with IDE RAID. Just make sure you install the latest necessary drivers. Make each hd master on each RAID channel and select bigger block size if you intend to edit video or large files. I've heard KT7 RAID does not play nice with SCSI devices so its better to leave the SCSI HDs off.

Comment

Does KT7 use HPT or Promise?

Either way, mail me and I'll get you some links on modifying it (no soldering required, just shove a resistor into two otherwise unused holes on your IDE cable) to be full RAID.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

KT7/KT7A uses HPT 370.

Full RAID would be all level choices, not just level 0, 1, 0 + 1 and JBOD.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 15 January 2001).]
        Matrox P
        LianLiPC70

Comment

The plain kt7 doesn't have the highpoint controller.. You only have the kt133 ide66 controller. The kt133a however does have ide100 built in and if you get the kt7a-RAID you also get the highpoint controller so you can have 8 ide100 devices.
          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Ya, didn't put RAID next to description.
            Matrox P
            LianLiPC70

Comment

SComp,
              The 30GB drives are $150 at buy.com, and the 45GB are only $172.

------------------
              MSI-6167 w/ Athlon 500@750 (thx Greebe!), 256MB Crucial PC133, G400MAX,SBLive!-MP3,Pioneer 10x DVD, Plextor 12/10/32A, IBM 45GB 75gxp, and a Sony 420GS. Running RH7.0 (2.4.0-test8), and Win98 (when I have to).
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Oh No! Already ordered Wombat...$149 each, got two 30GB IBM 75GXP. Seem to be real popular. Thanks for the info though.

I could have gotten them for less, but, "yes, we have them...they are in stock.. but they won't ship till the end of month."

Matrox P
                LianLiPC70

Comment

Good buy, those IBM HDs are fast, reliable and not as noisy as many other HDs.

I have two of those 30GB DTLA 307030 drives as well (and the guy at the shop where I bought them told me I'm the third person that day to take two of them at once - as this is a quiet small shop these drives seem to be in fact really popular right now).

If you're interested in what performance you could expect with those in a RAID-array take a look at the benchmarks forum: there is a HDTach-score of my RAID 0 array on the KT7's HighPoint HPT370.
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

Full Raid?
                    Wazzat?
                    chuck

------------------
                    ABit BE6-2 V2, P3-650@923, 256mb@142cas3, 90gig (2x45) IBM 75GXP striped raid array, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                    X