Woooowwwieeeeee Mozilla!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woooowwwieeeeee Mozilla!!

I just downloaded and installed Mozilla 0.6 from the Mozilla Site and I like it already. (6.5Mb for the installer)

Superfast, lean, mean and a real browser.
    Everything you knew from the old Navigator, plus more. I'll be surfing with Mozilla for the moment. Bye bye NS 4.76 & IE 5.01 !!

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Best thing so far: I said no to the flash 5 plug-in, so I'm now very effectively advert-less

Download times for pages with even a lot of pictures, with Javascript & Java on: between 6 and 13 seconds.

This is one cool mofo progro

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Even better; you can get it to ignore ads and comercials by restricting the adresses it can dównload pictures from!!
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yah, ever since Mozilla milestone 17 or so it has been my browser of choice. I still run IE for the stuff that Mozilla just can't do, but other than that... it's very cool.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

You should try one of the latest builds then Jord! http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/latest/
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Haven't I been telling you NS 4.x moaners, erm users, for months to dump it and go with Mozilla?

Comment

What about the speed difference in IE5.5 vs Mozilla 0.6?
              Is mozilla faster

[This message has been edited by alessandro (edited 30 December 2000).]
              Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

it starts slower...

mfg
                wulfman
                "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                "Lobsters?"
                "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Using it now.

First thing I noticed with the latest build it doesn't import IE favourites completely, other than that there doesn't seem to be much of interest in the thing over IE, which I have to have installed anyway for applications like VC++. I also can't import IE favourites easily. It needs more right click context menus, things like delete for favourite items etc. Drag and drop would be nice. The default fonts are not as good as IE. I like the in progress animation. Not sure why there is a Mozilla listbox at the bottom edge of the window, seems out of place. The inclusion of an IRC chat is interesting. Speed seems slower than IE 5.5.
                  That's off the top of my head, first 10 minutes, hasn't crashed so that's a bonus.

Comment

From my point of view it loads slower (as in opening a window) but I don't think anything can load as fast as IE since so much of IE is memory-resident (built into Explorer) anyhow.

Pages seem to load hella quick in the latest nightlies - which is good. Faster than IE? Hard to say.

But it doesn't have the IE memory leak, which STILL HASN'T BEEN FIXED IN 5.5, so that's a HUGE bonus. I've crashed it a time or two, but I was being mean to it...

- Gurm

------------------
                    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

I've tested it for 3 hours and found that it remembers the old pages as well as IE does. Maybe that's where the speed-increase came from

But I also tested it with 26 Mozilla windows open, and although Windows resources went all the way back to 25%, it didn't crash my Windows, nor did Mozilla crash

And after closing all those windows, I had 86% of resources back. Neat !! No memory leak!!

Even the email works

Jord.
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

What about <a href="http://www.opera.com"> Opera 5.01</a>?. It rocks!

Jan M.

Comment

Using 5.0 now jms, what's the improvement in 5.01?
                          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Just wondering guys, what do you look for in a browser? I've been trying out Opera (got 4.02 off a CD) but still generally prefer IE5, I don't know if it's just easier to use, or whether I'm more used to it, but that's why I use it.

What about you? Do you like speed over features? Ease of use? Stability?

Paul.
                            Meet Jasmine.
                            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I look for stability, speed, the looks, ease of use and a browser that doesn't ask me every time I enter a flash enabled page if I want to install that *&*%$&^% plug-in, but remembers my first answer

And whether or not it gives me back all the resources I was having before I started the browser, or that I need a reboot before doing something else

Jord.
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X