WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardw...eviews/2868/1/ Go Maxtor go!!!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

All extremists should be taken out and shot.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Ick! It's still a POS Maxtor...

Comment

Bleh! I'll stick to the 3 IBM 45g I'm gonna buy today.
      C:\DOS
      C:\DOS\RUN
      \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

maybe Guru should have posted about the upcoming Seagate Barracuda ATA III ST340824A . read more about it at stodage review,as this should give IBM some competition.
        http://www.storagereview.com/welcome...340824A_1.html

Comment

oooo. Thanks for the linkage. Hmmm, I think I'm gonna stick with the IBM's. Gonna put 2 of 'em in Raid 0. The third for boot. I'm upgrading from a Maxtor 27.2g DMA/66 7200 so I already going to get a major speed increase. The speed increase of the seagate is nice but it isn't drastic. Also it's only a 40gb.
          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Maxtor = SNAP SNAP SNAP ... mmm ... smoooooke...

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

DosFreak,
              What controler are you using & why a third drive?
              chuck

------------------
              ABit BE6-2 V2, P3-650@923, 256mb@142cas3, 90gig (2x45) IBM 75GXP striped raid array, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB mouse, Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 13 January 2001).]
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Gurm:
                Maxtor = SNAP SNAP SNAP ... mmm ... smoooooke...

- Gurm

</font>
                I've built over 50 pc's with Maxtor HD's and every single unit runs rock solid. 3 of 12 IBM hd's and 4 outta 15 WD hd's I've ordered went back to the dealer. Just my luck? Maxtor hd's are also easier on my wallet.

Comment

My friend had a similar experience with Maxtor. It eventually died a year after he got the machine it was in. Noisy too. Chucked it and got an IBM drive. He's happy.

Actually, I've only had one HD die of all the ones I've had. It was an old WD 730MB drive. Died in two years. My oldest HD, a WD 1.6GB is more than five years old and still runs fine (though its rather noisy).

Comment

Maxtors are well known for their low build quality, low mileage failure, and just plain crappy sounding performance.

Rags

Comment

I worked at a PC shop for a couple years. The entire time there, the only hard drive WORSE than Maxtor was Seagate, and that was only because we got a bum batch of Seagate 2GB IDE drives that would spontaneously lose files.

The Maxtors came back, drive after drive, making snapping noises and failing in the most spectacular manner. I've seen bad drives before, but the only drives that I've seen SMOKE come out of were Maxtors.

Maybe they've gotten better. But considering that they are much cheaper than other drives, I somehow doubt it.

WD has had problems with build quality. I am VERY surprised that you've had a bad time with IBM though. I've never seen an IBM go bad - not one. And I've used perhaps 200 of them in machines over the past couple of years.

- Gurm

------------------
                      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

The only drive I have ever personaly had go bad was a 10meg seagate. That was after I had had it for six or seven years.
                        But, I've worked on a lot of computers & I think the percentage of failed Maxtors was abnormaly high.
                        chuck
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

My personal favorit in the POS harddrive segment is:

Western Digital Caviar

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

My last 2, and I should say only 2, Maxtor drives went right back to the vendor, because they didn't work in my PC. The final replacement, a Seagate, is still happily chugging away

At work, I only see Maxtor 10Gb drives in the Compaq machines. Must be a deal between Compaq & Maxtor. In the mean time, I've asked about 5 times for a mechanic from the vendor, to come and replace faulty hdd's (on a total of 35 PC's). Their sound is now a humm

Jord.
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

I'd like to say that I have had good experience with Maxtor's. The reason I said BLEH! to the Maxtor link above was that:

Maxtors + HPT370 (or Promise) + RAID=Baaaaddddd

Replace IBM with Maxtor and all is good.

Maxtor's are fine hard drives. Just never go below 7200 rpm.
                              \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Working...
                              X