need help with termination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with termination

My Plextor CDRW still isn't working. Event log reports errors with my SCSI controller and we have already determined that my SCSI disk are not terminated...even though the disks appear fine.

I wanted to purchase a longer 68pin cable and put a terminator at the end - but i cant find anywhere that would do this.

Here is a little pic showing my current status - don't laugh!

Before i just unplugged the 68 pin cable to use the CDRW but now my OS is on it so that is not an option.

How can i sort this out?

Cheers
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Terminate the Disk drive at the end of the 68 pin ribbon cable, or get a three position cable (or more), and get an active or passive terminator for it.

You still might not be out of the woods.

Your SCSI card MIGHT need a high byte terminator adapter for the external CDRW (Adaptec 2940UWs need to use a 68 pin HD to 50 pin HD adapter with High Byte Termination - these little bastards are not cheap ~ $35 USD)

Make sure each device has a unique SCSI ID#

I would use SCSI ID# 0,1 and for the HDDs, SCSI ID# 3 or 7 for the (default, depending on how many drives the Adapter will support), and SCSI ID# 7 or 14 for the CD-ROM.

The lower the SCSI ID number, the higher priority it has on the chain, with most SCSI BIOS'

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Terminate the Disk drive at the end of the 68 pin ribbon cable</font>
      I cant terminate the disk passively

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Get a three position cable (or more), and get an active or passive terminator for it</font>
      I can't find a terminator anywhere...
      <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Your SCSI card MIGHT need a high byte terminator adapter for the external</font>
      er.. sorry, crappy picture - the CDRW is internal and is terminated

SCSI IDs

0 - adaptor
      1 - cdrw
      2 - SCSI disk
      5 - scsi disk

is this bad?

Cheers for the reply!
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

OK, I think I'm finding my way around your picture
        So you are using both internal connectors on a SCSI card?
        Do you know if this is possible?
        Adaptec 2940's have both the standard internal connector and the ultra-wide connector on, you can't use both at the same time, it's one or the other.
        If that side of things is OK then.....
        Plextor and the last HD in the chain need to be terminated, think it's a software BIOS setting on modern HD's?
        But check that you can use both internal connectors on that SCSI card.
        It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
        Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Paddy, what do you mean you can't find a terminator anywhere? just looked at www.scan.co.uk & they sell a LVD Terminator for £21.15.
          I don't know much of your scsi card(I have an Adaptec one) but can you enter the scsi bios? if you have domain validation listed, try disabling it to see if it makes any difference!

Comment

Damn! I phoned just about every where..

Cheers Ayoub!

Comment

The 2940UW card did not allow all three connectors to be used at one time. The 2940U2W card allows all three to be used.

Adaptec ACK-68P-50P-E is the External 68 to 50 pin adapter that terminates the high byte. There are also internal adapters available that are not in a pretty case as the external one is.

ID 7 is default on Adaptec SCSI cards. I have always used ID 0, 1 and 2 for my hard drives, and the higher ID's for the CD ROM/Scanners. Most CD ROMS come default at ID 4 or 5.

And your picture is pretty good.
              -----------------------------------------
              If you want some interesting reading, go here http://www.adaptec.com/support/index.html and scroll down to bottom of page for "Other Installation Tips."

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 12 January 2001).]
              MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
              Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
              512MB regular Crucial PC2100
              Matrox P
              X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
              LianLiPC70

Comment

Cheers, I'll change the IDs and buy a terminator together with a longer cable

Comment

hey Paddy[MU],

what you appear to have, judgeing by your picture is a "single channel, dual-segment, dual-connector" scsi bus...multimediaman is on the right track with the high-byte terminator...you cannot terminate a "wide" bus with the plextors' terminator. i purchased a 50 to 68 pin adapter from adaptec then ran the cable to the back of my case(..68 pin pass through) and terminated it externally.

granite digital(www.scsipro.com) has all the stuff you need. they are pricey though! i would definitley set the scsi id of the adapter to 7, set the scsi ids' of the hdd to 0 and 1 then terminate, then convert the 50 pin bus at the cdrw and run it to the back of the case and terminate it externally with a 68 pin active terminator

good luck!!!

cc

Comment

My thinking is the same as SCompRacer's. (I would have posted this last night, but I was "under the volcano.")

Are you using an Adaptec 2940UW and if so, are you suppressing high byte?

This absolutely has to be done in order to get a Wide (as opposed to Ultra Wide) device to work on the 2940UW. I had to get the adapter SCompRacer mentioned and run my CDR on the 68-pin chain. The internal adapter blocks or surpresses high byte. It doesn't really terminate it.

I terminated with the device itself.

Personally, I couldn't find a use for the 50-pin connector on the 2940UW. I eventually upgraded to the 2940U2W, and my "high byte" problems were over.

http://www.adaptec.com/support/confi...n/connect.html

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 13 January 2001).]

Comment

Paddy, just looking at your ids
                      SCSI IDs
                      0 - adaptor
                      1 - cdrw
                      2 - SCSI disk
                      5 - scsi disk
                      well to my knowledge, your adaptor should be 7(highest priority), your hdd 0(your booting hdd) & 1,your cdrw usually 3 or 4.

[This message has been edited by ayoub_ibrahim (edited 12 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ayoub_ibrahim (edited 12 January 2001).]

Comment

Sorry, the card is an iWill UW2936 - freebie

------------------
                        I am running Win2K Pro: SP1 on the following:
                        • T'bird 1GHz on an Asus A7V
                        • Coolermaster Copper Heat Pipe
                        • 256 Mb PC100 RAM
                        • IBM DJNA-372200 21Gb UDMA 66 Drive
                        • 2 x IBM DNES-309170W SCSI Disk Drives
                        • Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8584A
                        • Plextor PX-W1210S SCSI CD-RW
                        • Intel Pro/100+ Management Ethernet Adaptor
                        • Iwill 2936 Ultra Wide SCSI controller
                        • SB Live! 5.1
                        • USB IntelliMouse Explorer Optical
                        • Creative WebCam Go! Plus 8Mb
                        • UM9800 V.90 USB Modem
                        • Tornado 1000 case (with six 80mm fans!)
                        • Cambridge SoundWorks DTT3500 5.1 speakers
                        • Compaq 151 FS - on its way out

Comment

Working...
                        X